Algal Turf Scrubbing Gets A Boost!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hydromentia, a water pollution control company based in Florida, just received a 3 million dollar investment from global energy giant StatoilHydro to launch their Chesapeake Algae Project (ChAP). Why is this of interest to us? Because Hydomentia has patents and exclusive licenses to two aquatic plant systems - the Algal Turf Scrubber and the Water Hyacinth Scrubber. Algae or Algal Turf Scrubbing is an old concept that was kicked around with mixed success on aquariums a number of years ago. Old ATS pics, DIY plans and more inside.

[​IMG]
    Hydromentia's Algae Turf Scrubber

Algal Turf Scrubber Concept As Described by Hydromentia:

If memory serves, there has always been an issue with patents and ATS for aquariums. One company finally overcame that (now defunct algaeturfscrubber.com) and produced surge ATS units for the aquarium (pics below) but they were very expensive. I think they were around $500. Way too expensive for a light-box with a surge ramp. But I always wanted one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The only commercially available ATS filters ever made for aquariums.*

*Inland Aquatics made them too, but they didn't sell them online I believe.

Aquarium Old Timer Walter Adey had an ATS installed at the Smithsonian for a while. It had its ups and downs. No skimmer was an issue possibly some said. Not sure.

You can read about it here:
    http://www.algalturfscrubber.com/about.htm
    http://www.enst.umd.edu/tilley/classes/restore/AlgalTurfScrubAdeyNRMT6.0.pdf

The following DIY plans are from an old site no longer around - the greatsagehabibi.com! RIP. This old 3reefer held on to them, apparently to post here 7 years later. :)

[​IMG]
    CLICK TO ENLARGE. IF YOU MAKE THIS, PLEASE SHARE ON 3REEF!

More on the Hydromentia Algal Turf Scrubbers may be found here:
    HydroMentia Water Treatment Technologies > Services > Algal Turf Scrubber
    http://www.hydromentia.com/Products-Services/Assets/Chart-5.pdf
    http://www.hydromentia.com/Products...cumentation/Assets/ATS-Technical-Brochure.pdf
    HydroMentia Water Treatment Technologies > Services > Algal Turf Scrubber FAQ

3reef wishes Hydromentia great success in the Chesapeake. ATS on an industrial scale to control pollution just makes sense.

But, hey Hydromentia...

How about making some small ones for us? Please? :)

matt

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

meh they are easy to diy :p

and im not savy with the whole patent thing but does that mean that no company can make one for selling to people?

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I just noticed that they even have a trademark on ATS.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

7. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

8. Click Here!

9. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

10. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

they did these awhile ago, the patent may have run out already. the first i think is credited to dr. adley, or a gentlemen with a very similarly spelled name. :)

even if the patent hasn't run out, you can always do a DIY

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I'm a fan of the algae scrubber. As it says in the article it's 10-100 times more powerful than macro.
    I don't recommend it on a lot of the "help my nitrates are too high " threads because it's not as simple as a refugium with macro.... and could just end up frustrating someone if not done properly. But I always think to myself -"if this person had a scrubber" I know for a fact their NO3, PO3, and hair algae will plummet/die off.
    So... if anyone is interested. Here's the thread that will steer you in the right direction:
    Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, and Everything Else
    Santa Monica(screen name )is always eager to help people and even sells screens basically for cost. Trust me he ain't gettin rich making these things. He likes to help people.
    He also runs algaescrubber.net

Here's a link to my 3reef build thread:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/blue-water-2000-algae-scrubber-67194.html
    I run my skimmer for water clarity in conjunction.

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Walter Adey isn't exactly one of my favorite people due to how he ripped off Morgan. That's why ATS's haven't been around....Morgan couldn't legally sell them. He still has some brand new ones. I do like to poke fun at Adey now and again over his failed aquariums at the Smithsonian and Biosphere II (and every other large aquarium that has installed them as their sole source of filtration all of which later added protein skimmers). Maybe he should have actually had an aquarium before he wrote a whole book about them. :) He did give the hobby a new word...."refugia" now called refugiums.

That's obviously not a reef tank. It's in the education room where Morgan talks to kids from school districts and the like.

1 person likes this.