Possible DIY Algae Scrubber?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by DaDaAtlanta, Nov 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

I concocted this from a small hob filter, cartridge without using carbon and a rubber band. I had all these things lying around. Could this possibly work as a small algae scrubber? The light on it is a small 9 or 10 watt. This is on the corner of my 10g fuge.

I also use chaeto and gracilaria which hasnt shown any growth in the week I have had it set up. There is slow flow through my fuge and I light it on a reverse schedule with a 23w 100w equivalent bulb. This light for the scrubber will be on 24 hours, or can I run just my fuge light on reverse for both things?

Does it have to be a certain type of sheet/pad?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

That might work to some degree, but I would be worried about the empty cartridge catching detritus and causing nitrates from it.

Your macro probably will not show growth that fast. Give it some time just like a plant and it will grow like crazy.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

The light needs to be directly in front of it. What type of bulb is it? Kelvin/type and how much flow is going over the screen?
    You can't run the light 24 hours.. If you do you will start to see bare spots in your algae. Algae like all plants has to rest. Go for a 18 on / 6 off. I have mine 12 on 12 off.
    Water flow should be enough to fall off the bottom in a solid sheet of water.

I strongly recommend reading this thread:
    Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, and Everything Else
    Does it have to be a certain type of sheet/pad?
    You can use all kinds of things but a very roughed up surface of hard plastic seems to be the best. You can buy them already roughed here:
    Algae Scrubbers • View topic - Now Available: Screens you can buy
    It's made out of the stuff people do knitting/needle point.. can't remember what it's called but you can find it at craft stores.
    If it's not super rough algae will not stick to it well.

1 person likes this.
  5. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

I think its working, I'll get a picture up soon but its got a layer of brown over the part with the most flow and light which darken every day. I havent checked for nitrates though. I'm gettin some mangroves next week with my CUC from reefcleaners.org and already got some chaeto so before I put it in I will check nitrates and toss this thing if its high, if not it wont hurt to keep it.

6. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

That won't really work. It will grow algae, but you need to scrape one side every week. That pad will grow algae, but you won't be able to scrape the algae off. The lights should be on for 18 hours, off for 6 and preferably off when the DT is on.

7. DaDaAtlanta

DaDaAtlanta Feather Star

I realized this now after running it for a couple weeks, its turned brown with algae but like you said theres no way to export it so im gonna leave it to the chaeto and gracilaria for now and look for a different thing to attach that will work better.