Blue Water 2000 Algae scrubber.

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Av8Bluewater, Jun 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Hey you there sir! Do you suffer from Nitrates, Phosphates, Boll Weevils, Headaches and chronic wife nagging? Well I've got an end all cure all just for you. And if you act now I'll throw in this set of ginsu knives for free! But wait... if you call with in the next 10 minutes.. you'll even get this Donny and Marie keychain!!!

Finally got around to making this thing. I'll give updates in the next few months. I have a RIO 1700 pushing about 5-600 GPH through it for now. If it all works out as advertised I plan on getting rid of the pump and just tap the tank return.
    I got the screen material for free from Santa Monica. Thanks again SM. Not really sure what it is as he had it specially made.
    Here's a link to the original turf scrubber thread:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/...eplaces-skimmer-refugium-everythin-51120.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
    3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

More pics

Attached Files:

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Progress report.

Changed bulb on 1 side on day 3 to a 40W CFL spiral with reflector.
    Getting some decent growth so far. No changes in water quality to report yet except some hair algae in the tank has appeared to recede. One big spot of cyano has not changed. Nitrates and phosphate the same. Supposedly it takes about a month for it to really make an impact.
    Skimmer has been off for 3 days due to broken pump.

Pics are day 3,5,7,9

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

awesome i have wanted to experiment with one of these myself
    keep us updated on how well it works

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Reefski s masssive scrubber
    DSC08392.jpg
    One week worth after cleaning
    AcrylicOneWeek6500Kside.jpg
    jski711 s scrubber
    UserJski711onRS-7.jpg

Thanks... let me know if you are going to build one. I 'll hook you up with some design ideas.
    Here's a couple pics of other scrubbers.

7. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

Looks Great! Congratz on the build! :)

8. Click Here!

9. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    Good build I'm also on board, looking forward to hearing the end result...

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Wow, that's pretty good. You built the entire thing from scratch? Keep us posted, I've always been curious about these.

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Yeah.. I built it from scratch. All it is is some acrylic glued together (if you don't have a table saw you can score it and break it). About $10 worth of PVC , a Pump and a hose. I got the screen from Santa Monica. He's really given me a lot of good info. Of course you don't have to build an acrylic version. There's the bucket version in the link above or if you aren't worried about splashes all you need is a screen with water flowing over it.

I used some sort of epoxy at first and it came apart with the water.. So I reglued it with regular super glue. I think JB weld works well too.(that's what I hear anyway)

If anyone is interested send me a PM and I'll point you toward a huge thread on Algae scrubbers. Some are really elaborate and huge. T5 lights and stuff.
    Some people use them on their ponds and it clears out all their coy pond algae.

12. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Keep us updated! I've been interested in pursuing an algae scrubber for quite some time since I have no room for a fuge in my sump.