Algal Turf Scrubbing Gets A Boost!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Looks a bit small to be effective. Unless you have a really small nano maybe. IMO.

I suppose that is true if you don't sell it? :confused:

Very cool! 8) I remember that thread now. The vertical method is very interesting. On the plus side you get the oxygen exchange, scrubbing and I would think you also get a cooling affect similar to bog coolers for tricked out computers. Maybe less space too. NEAT. The only negative I see is that you lose the surge. But I like!!

:party-smi hehe. I knew this topic would be fly-paper for you buddy. :) Did you say Morgan has some new ATS filters? Like the black ones I show in the first post?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Technically they are very old.....they've just never been used. He can't sell them.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

You can put the pump on a "on-off" schedule to get surge effect. Maybe 1 hour on or 1 hour off. I haven't done that yet but it will help the algae grow faster and be more effective.

5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Did it fail because it was an algae scrubber system only or because a lack of knowledge of how to properly run them?
    If you read the entire marine depot thread I posted you can certainly see that there are problems that are not obvious to the layman. It's science in the raw that is moving forward. Lots and lots of things need to be just right like the light position, cleaning at the right time which will be different for different algaes.. .green hair- true turf, ect. It takes some research for sure but if you know what to do it sucks out the PO4 and NO3 with no ill effects.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Aye that is what I meant. But surge would not benefit main tank there.. are you thinking of putting it above?

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

No... i've thought about putting the pump on a timer to make it on/off but I think it would be hard on the pump..I'm just gonna leave it the way it is since it's working fine.
    The biggest drawback of scrubbers is they absolutely must be cleaned periodically.
    I have true brown/red "turf" on mine and I wash the turf off every week to get the oils off and kill any pods. My turf doesn't really grow that much so I don't actually clean the turf off very often. I like my skimmer running too.... I just feel like the tank is cleaner.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I envy your setup bud! I hope to fit something in my new tank (stand) if I can.

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

My acrylic skills have gotten a little better lol..
    My scrubber is falling apart. I need to redo it with some proper weld-on that I bought. (used the wrong glue initially) It's been sitting there a couple months just haven't gotten around to doing it.

I'm probably going to completely build a new/ better one next year with T5 grow lights.
    Also my screen itself is falling apart... screen dividers start to degrade in water fairly fast.
    Santa Monica sells these already "roughed up" if interested:
    Algae Scrubbers • View topic - Now Available: Screens you can buy