Marineland Double Bright LED Lamps - A HI-RES Look

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

When 3reef first got a hold of Marineland's new Double Bright LED Aquarium Lamps a month ago, it was apparent that Marineland had done their homework for the aquarium hobbyist as they were built solid, yet light-weight, extremely easy to setup and move around for cleaning. Now we just received some more details that demonstrate that they are, in fact, very bright: 75 lumens to 1 watt! More details in post. Enjoy the pics. :)

[​IMG]
    Marineland's Double Bright LED Lamps

Marineland Double Bright LED Lighting System Highlights:

• The outer row on the Double Bright lamps are 1 watt white LEDs. The middle row are 60mW blue LEDs that really kick out the blue - note graphs below.
    • Each lamp has a built in lunar cycle.
    • The LEDs have a polycarbonate lens that enhance and protect the light and create a shimmer effect.
    • A three-mode On/Off switch (daytime, lunar and off) and one power cord mean a lot less clutter. Note the slim-profile too.
    • Flexible, easy-to-use mounting system will have this lamp on your tank in less than a minute.

[​IMG]

Initially there will be 3 sizes in the Double Bright LED series:

• The smallest will be for aquariums 18" - 24" long and has 6 one watt LEDs outputing 450 lumens.
    • The middle model is for aquariums 24" - 36" long and has 8 one watt LEDs outputing 600 lumens.
    • The longest lamp is for aquariums 36" - 48" long and has 16 one watt LEDs outputing 1200 lumens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[CLICK TO ENLARGE]
    [​IMG]

Lighting Analysis:

Spectral graph on 1 watt LED:
    [​IMG]

2 Graphs from analyzer (6,000k color temp):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

60mW Blue LED spectral graph- 25,000K:
    [​IMG]

A word on lumens:

The lumen ratings affirm what we saw a month ago, these LED lamps are bright. But lumens are a subjective rating based on what the human eye can see. We can't speculate too much on what these lamps will do with live corals without a PAR or LUX meter kicking out numbers and some real experience on reef aquariums. More on lumens:

Par-lux-lumen

That said, the 75 lumens to 1 watt ratio is a good one that does indicate there is some power behind these lamps. So with that and the light-weight, solid, low-profile construction - for now we will just have to drool a bit and wait until we can really put them to the test.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PRICES NEXT WEEK.
    THEY WILL BE OUT BY THE END OF THE YEAR.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

Very sleek looking light. Looking forward to seeing the performance on these.

4. daninfamous

daninfamous Flamingo Tongue

I seriously can't wait for price info.

5. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I bet a 36" will set you back a solid grand..

6. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

I spoke with the rep that was at MACNA this year, they had them on display at their stand, he told me these could not be used for a reef setup. They are not really for the true saltwater hobbiest just yet, he said if these are big sellers they will develope ones for the reef set up.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I may eat my words but I doubt it will even be close to that.

What Mike just said is probably true otherwise these lamps would be dense with LEDs I would think if made specifically for reefers. Thus, I think the price will be lower than what we have seen geared for reef setups..

That said, I will not be surprised to see them used by nano reefers on 20 longs and the like or bigger tanks that are 18" or less deep.

All I can say from my own experience is that they were bright with a nice blue/white light. Just that alone will probably sell a few.

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. daninfamous

daninfamous Flamingo Tongue

Well, I lost intrest if they are not for reefers, im only on a biocube29 right now but a 75g RR is in my future.

10. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

O my those are VERY sexy!

11. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Weird that Marineland (UPG) is making a LED fixture even after filing bankruptcy?

They are trying to get into the "higher" end market but IME their products are overpriced for what they are... Like their in sump skimmer. Are you serious?

Great find Matt! Keep 'em coming!

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish