Lionfish - It's What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

When we last reported on the Lionfish issue (rapidly multiplying in non-native waters around the Bahamas) scientists were encouraging local fishermen to catch them as Lionfish have quite an appetite and are affecting local fish populations. Now that they have spread to the coast off North Carolina, scientists are considering promoting Lionfish as a food item! This receipe for Fried Lionfish sounds pretty good with Corona, but jokes aside, please let this serve as a reminder not to release your fish into local waters.

[​IMG]

Lionfish - Credit: 3reefer Dubliner

Source and full article:
    Fight against lionfish could land it on menu | StarNewsOnline.com | Star News | Wilmington, NC

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

They've been finding them in our stateside waters for many many years... why does it say now like it just started happening? They find them in NY even!!

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Not sure. I know first reports were over 10 years ago. I think they are finding them more and more now.

5. ReefDaily

ReefDaily Skunk Shrimp

I remember hearing about this last year. I'm pretty sure at the time they were finding them off of Long Island :eek:

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I know a few divers that see the regularly off LI.