The Lionfish Invasion of the Bahamas

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

This news should serve as a reminder to all hobbyist to not release your fish into the wild. Lionfish were first spotted in the Bahamas over 10 years ago and believed to have been introduced by aquarium owners in the southeast USA. Their numbers were low initially but grew rapidly in the last couple years and exponentially in the last few months! Lionfish are competing for the same fish as the local fishermen. This is not a good scenario. More below..

[​IMG]
    A Lionfish in an Aquarium (Thanks dublinur)

As is problematic with exotic fish, Lionfish are not being recognized as a predator in the Bahamas and local fish populations are being heavily impacted.

Any locals in the Bahamas that have seen Lionfish, can fill out this survey to help control the spread of Lionfish in the Bahamas.

Read this interview with Eleanor Phillips, The Nature Conservancy's Northern Caribbean program director about the spread of Lionfish in the Bahamas.

Hat-tip to Bella_Mare and Bahamas Photog. 8)

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Reminds me of this story you left on my page. The pacu could easily have been a piranha(s). Wish I would have known better as a kid using live goldfish for bass bait.
    toledoblade.com --

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ahh yes second story down. They have been a problem but don't seem to get to the numbers that these articles indicate have been reached with Lionfish. This one troubles me more. :p

5. jturnbull

jturnbull Purple Spiny Lobster

I saw this video about a month ago was pretty shocked.

YouTube - Lionfish Population Has Scientists Worried

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  6. greebs

greebs Flamingo Tongue

who cares if lionfish are eating fish that fisherman take. animals have the right to eat one other fish before we hoist up a million at a time and let half go to waste.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Umm I think you miss the point. If BOTH - the fisherman AND the lionfish are going after local fish - how do you think the local fish will fare?

8. Click Here!

9. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I'm not worried about the lionfish eating the fish the fisherman are after, I'm more worried about them wiping out reefs.

10. ninty

ninty Flamingo Tongue

Really missed the point, we have a similar problem in the UK with red signal crayfish. These were released into the river systems and have taken over about 70% of the native white crayfish area's.

Mankind can really mess up eco systems with just a careless act.

11. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

I cud use afew dwarf lions ... and a vacation .... hmmm

12. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Wow, that's horrible.
    greebs and coylee 17, the point of the article is that because humans were careless, these beautiful fish have been dumped into an ecosystem not suitable for them. The local fish will soon be wiped out by both fishing and from hungry lion fish. As it is true that every creature has a right to eat (No one is saying that they shouldn't) it's a terrifying ordeal as the local people, the lion fish and the local fish will all suffer due to negligence.
    The worst part of this is that like many invasive fish species, and many invasive species in general, the lionfish will most likely need to be rounded up and destroyed for the most part.
    It's just like the ordeal NE America is fighting with the snake head outbreak.