Zoa can kill?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Mkizla, Jul 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

I never knew Zoa's carry one of the most deadliest poison in the world
    http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1082370#post1082370
    What are the ways that the zoa will release the poison?
    Some scary stuff this is..LFS should infrom buyers when buying zoas goodness, and have an age limit or something...thats like selling a gun to a kid.

What are the steps to becareful? and prevent any deaths to a dog or pet or childerns.

2. Click Here!

3. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Grrr, their server is backing up now...

4. ChrisBs

ChrisBs Purple Spiny Lobster

5. ChrisBs

ChrisBs Purple Spiny Lobster

im never putting my hands in my tank again

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I didn't bother to read the thread but it doesn't matter. I'm very familiar with palytoxin. I've been VERY sick from it, I know a friend who got squirted in the mouth while fragging and got very ill and another friend who got squirted in the eye while fragging. A LFS worker who ate his sandwhich he brought from home before he washed his hands. They got very ill too. Are you aware some sponges, some macroalgaes, and some slugs and other animals have palytoxin too? Luckily many cases of people getting sick from their palys is a general allergic reaction.

Well, hopefully you are wearing gloves when handling zoanthid colonies. Palytoxin is some nasty stuff, that's for darn sure. Luckily in most zoanthids it's in very small amounts. The palythoa that have the high amounts of palytoxin aren't particularly attractive and are not seen all that often in the hobby. (With that said, I have a colony at the shop right now but I would never sell it to a customer without letting them know what they are buying).

My rules for zoanthids and other species of palythoa are no different from any other species of corals. Always wear nitrile or latex gloves when handling corals and rock. Trust me, there's worse things in your tank than Palytoxin. (Use 3Reef's search engine on the words Mycobacterium marinum). Like I said, I tell people to wear gloves always and to never rub their mucus membranes (eyes, lips, nose) if their hands have been in their tank (regardless of whether they have zoanthids or palythoas.....there's all sorts of nasties in that water) until they WASH THEIR HANDS AND ARMS.

Since you guys are concerned about safety, do you have drip loops on all of your power cords? Are you plugged into a GFCI circuit? Are you plugging a whole bunch of things with a high amperage draw into a piece of crap $5 Home Depot power strip? Maybe after you search 3Reef for Palytoxin and Mycobacterium marinum, maybe you should also search for the words "Fire" and "Shocked".

2 people like this.
  7. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Good post! There are more dangerous things to worry about then palytoxin!

8. Click Here!

9. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Always consult a licensed electrician before changing your receptacles to GFIs. ;D

10. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

i like you inwall! that was truthy(yes i did it), funny and for some reason not too insulting!

11. Mkizla

Mkizla Eyelash Blennie

So I bought a new coral on from a local guy, i thougth they were Zoas but what I have gotten are Palythoas?

http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/new-coral-question-92205.html

Is the coral it self is poisnous? or the liquid inside the coral? and any suggestions on care?

12. swimswithsheep

swimswithsheep Flamingo Tongue

I tried explaining about the palytoxin to an employee at Petco a few weeks ago. He acted like I was making it all up and said he has handled zoa/paly covered rocks w/o gloves before without incident.

I thought about asking him if he has ever driven his car somewhere without getting in a wreck and if that was a guarantee that his further travels were going to be safe, but decided against it.

Later, he was reaching in a tank to rearrange some LR and a Clarkii bit a chunk out of his hand. It was almost poetic. Clueless...

1 person likes this.