Woke up (at 4 AM) to water on the floor

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Kevin_E, Aug 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Nope. Just a stockman pipe with small holes drilled in it.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yep, appears I'll have to stay up with the maintenance on it. Wanted to find a 55 gallon drilled for my next tank, but couldn't. So I will be using a HOB for it as well.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

In my case it would be a small snail. I have a stockman pipe. It's essentially covered/capped PVC tube with small holes drilled in it under the lip.

5. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

Won't ever find a drilled 55 ... They are all tempered. Lots of 75's around ... Similar foot print 48x18 instead of 48 x 12 :)

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I only have 30 gallons of water volume, but maybe my pump is too big for the system. But I do like the idea of the emergency drain.

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well I found one, but they weren't up to trading (it was for sale).

I already have the stand built (13" deep) and tank cycling. The stand would work perfectly for an in-wall 75 or 90 one day.

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Yup, I never had to worry with this. I did put a float inside the box in the tank in case it ever failed to restart siphon. My Reef Angel would then cut power to the return pump if it ever activated. But in the year I had it setup, it never failed to siphon.

10. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

Soooo I'm wondering...
    What type of material are you using for the drain (ie between the bottom of the overflow box down to the sump)

A. The crappy ribbed flex hoses they sell at the local fish stores that look like they belong on the return of a pool filter?

B. A custom PVC

C. Flexable tubing

(I'd also recommend making a hofer gurgle buster to reduce the gurgling making a custom PVC drain)

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

If the overflowing water is a problem,

you could invest in this preventer- it has a very sensitive and reliable sensor that shuts down whatever is plugged in to it.- In my case my return pump is plugged in to the system.

I've never had a DT overflow, and now probably never will.

Check out my thread on the product. Simple and reliable.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/filters-pumps-etc/dt-overflow-preventer-134476.html

12. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Just me saying something but after listening to all these horror stories about water on floor.. I am glad for the overflow box lid and having a bean animal overflow w/ 1" Drains. AMEN!