White dots on glass and now on fish??

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by trent51593, Apr 22, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

Hello, I have noticed that i have some white dots the size of a pinhead you could say on my glass. It started off with just a few so i figured I would let them go to see what happend. Well i came home from work and seen that my tang had some white spots on it and there were a lot more white dots on the glass. Could this be ich :-/ ?? I am going to pull him out tomarrow and put him in a QT tank and treat him. Please let me know what you all think. There is another thread http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/please-id-these-spots-bad-42448.html with these white dots, those are what mine look like. But i just wasnt sure because now one of my fish has smaller white dots on it. Please help.

2. Click Here!

3. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Some pics would help.

Are your tangs rubbing against anything? Is their breathing normal and are they eating?

To regurgitate what others have shared on this forum with me, Ich is pretty normal and if you water parameters are correct and your fish is healthy, it will just go away. Bump your temps up to 82 or so to make the ich cycle a little faster.

I wrote on article on my blog summarizing what I learned from various folks on here.

4. trent51593

trent51593 Coral Banded Shrimp

yes my tangs are healthy and they do eat well. He is scartching a little but not much and when i woke up they dots werent so bad. Maybe ill just let it pass and see what happens. Does ich effect corals at all?

5. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Nope, I don't think so. In my experience, tangs are ich magnets...I've had it on other fish, but every tang I have ever put in my tank got it.

6. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

If you continue to put them in the tank, and they continue to acquire ich, than you might consider getting a UV sterilizer and keeping your tank fish free for a while to ensure that the ich has been eraddicated, than proceed to put the fish back. Ich is known to last in tanks for quite some, even without fish. A good uv sterilizer will destroy it from living in the water.

Just a thought ;D

7. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Thanks. I'm just avoiding any tangs for now. To be honest, from what I've read, my tank isn't really big enough anyway. Read in a few places your tanks should be at least 6-foot so they have plenty of room to swim.