Please ID these spots, Bad??

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by camfam, Sep 9, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. camfam

camfam Astrea Snail

I have had these spots on my new tank for 3-4 weeks now, and now for the past week or so it looks like there is one on my clowns tail. Can someone tell me what they might be? From what I have read and seen on other posts, this is to big to be ich. It showed up on his tail and does not seem to have changed, he was acting the normal for about a week then the past few days he has been hanging out in the corner more. He still is eating real well, and will still swim around with my other clown for awhile, then back to the corner.

These arn't the best pictures and I will try to get more tomarrow in full light. The spot seems to go through one side of his tail to the other. I looks like I could just pick it off (but I won't).

Third pic is of the spots on the back glass (diff fish).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Looks to be Spirorbid worms beginning to grow on your glass, Nothing to worry about.

[​IMG]

Tiny white dots about the size of a pinhead can be found in reef tanks, overflow boxes , and sumps. They are Spirorbid Worms, which are filter feeders. It won't hurt to scrape them off if they obstuct your view, but they are harmless. Reef-safe.

From Melevsreef.com - Welcome!

4. camfam

camfam Astrea Snail

The spot on the clowns tail looks about the same as what is on the class, except maybe bulkier. It looks like he tried to eat one of these things, but couldn't get it totally out when he pooped.

5. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

i have them in both tanks and have never had a problem

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

There are other parasites in tanks besides ICH...If healthy the fish will shrug it off in couple of days.

Don't know if normal or not, but I have a perc (the male) that likes to hang out allot down in one corner of tank also. -- probably just getting some "quiet time"

7. camfam

camfam Astrea Snail

Here are some better pics of the fish. He has had this spot for about 10 days or so.

But if you say I shouldn't worry I will not.

The spot on my tank don't really look like what was posted earlier in this thread. Is that what they will turn into if I let them go?

Sorry for all the questions, but as everyone knows lots of time and money invested.

Thanks,

Worthy

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

What is on the fish may be Lymphocystis
    Does it look like this?
    [​IMG]

Lymphocystis

Other Names: Cauliflower Disease

Symptoms: Small warty clumps on the fins that resemble small cauliflowers.

Comments: This disease is caused by a virus and often looks worse than it is. It is rarely fatal and will usually clear up on its own if optimum water quality is maintained.

Treatment: There is no effective treatment for this disease. A short freshwater dip may help. Maintain optimum water quality and symptoms should improve with time. If a secondary bacterial infection should occur, move the animal to a hospital tank and treat with antibiotics.

Prevention: Insure good water quality and temperature parameters to prevent animals from getting stressed. Stress breaks down the protective mucous coating on a fish and allows the virus to gain a foothold. Additionally, any new fish should be given a short freshwater bath and kept in a quarantine tank for two to three weeks before being introduced into the main aquarium.
    From
    Sea and Sky: Aquarium Diseases & Treatments

10. camfam

camfam Astrea Snail

Thanks, I think that may be what it is. It does look like cauliflower. What do I do, just sit back and watch? Do I need to QT, would it help if I did a freshwater dip now, or would it just stress him out more?

Thanks for all your input!!

Worthy

11. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I am not that big on fresh water dips myself I believe it stresses the fish even more than it already is. I would just make sure that your water parameters are in range and I would run some carbon also