Torch coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Perculator, Feb 13, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Perculator

Perculator Feather Duster

Do i feed these brine? Is it needed? i think its a torch. or a hammer. what do u think?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Would need a better pic but looks like torch. It is photosynthetic.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Looks like hammer or frogspawn to me. The tentacles are too short, stubby, and regular to be a torch.
    Feed peices of shrimp a couple of times a month. Brine/mysis are too small to offer much for it.

5. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

it is a torch i have the same one, i have never fed it and it is doing fine

6. Perculator

here is a better picture

Attached Files:

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

100% certain that is not a torch. Its most likely a frogspawn, but *might* be a hammer as well.
    I am on an old computer at work that wont even load photobucket, so I cant directly show you what to look for in the difference, but I can paste the links for you. Pay particular attention the the tentacle length, thickness, and even more importantly, the shape of the bulbs at the end of the tentacles:
    Frogspawn:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/coral-month/cotm-july-2008-frogspawn-49854.html

And torch:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/coral-month/cotm-november-08-torch-54129.html

Notice that the torch has much longer, thinner tentacles, that branch, as well as the bulbs all being a regular round shape. Frogspawn has short, stubby tentacles with more of an irregular almost "U" shaped bulb, which is even more pronounced in the hammer.

They are all close cousins, but there are distinguishable differences. They are very commonly confused at retail and get sold as the incorrect species.

8. Click Here!

9. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

that is most defenity a torch. You dont really need to feel it meaty food. but i spot feed mine once in awhile say every 2 weeks mabye ever week, at the least mystis shrimp

10. Perculator

I bought this, 2 heads, at $5 a head. I think it was worth it whatever it is.
    here is a picture of it more open, compared to a hammer coral picture I found, I dont know if the picture is really a hammer, but it looks just like it.

The first one is the picture i found of hammer coral, and the second one is mine. Third is a torch, and 4th is a frogspawn.
    I do not know if these are really what I say they are, they were just looked up. Anyways, I think its a hammer

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

All of the pics look correct. I'm not 100% sure as to hammer or frogspawn, but it surely is not a torch. As I said, look at the bulbs. The torch's will be round, as it's the only one of the group that's like that. If the bulb's are not round, then you do not have a torch.
    All three are cool corals though, and a cool steal at 5 bucks a head. Congrats man!

1 person likes this.
  12. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

from lookin at you third pic the tips look like a little clubs. that is distintive of hammer corals. when it comes out all the way is it longer then the pix?

1 person likes this.