COTM - July 2008 - "Frogspawn"

Discussion in 'Coral of the Month' started by omard, Jul 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Close cousin of COTM last month:

Coral of the month June 08 Hammer Coral, by Daniel072

Several posts about this coral on forum last couple of months. So seems right for the July COTM.

[​IMG]

"Frogspawn"

Latin Name: Euphyllia divisa/cristata

Common Name: Frogspawn Coral Green

Also known as: Wall Coral, Octopus Coral, Grape Coral, Honey Coral

Habits: Very light forgiving. Does not like high water flow. Do not place directly under intense lighting.

Ease of Care: Very easy in a established tank.

Compatibility: Most "friendly" of Euphyllia corals. Will "get along" quite well with other corals.

An excellent choice for adding a LPS coral in a softie dominated tank. Grows relatively fast in the right conditions...at least in my tank. If water quality is an issue, mine is about as "pristine" as possible. Appears to grow either directly under MH lighting or not.

Actually a very light forgiving coral. I have a couple of smaller ones in my 12 gallon Nano with 24w lights, that, while may not be growing very fast, are doing quite well.

Coral "stalks" can easily be broken off when gets large and placed elsewhere in tank.

I started out with a 3-4 "head" piece, and now have 5 or 6 very large multi-headed specimens.

One thing it does not like is high water flow. Otherwise can be placed about anywhere in tank, even up close to softie neighbors...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great "Starter Coral" - buy small and watch it grow...

References:

MarineCenter

LiveAquaria

Peteducation.com

Family Reef Tank - Frogspawn

More Pics

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Good info OmarD

4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Awesome Omard...

5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

great! and the most recent addition to my own tank.

But correct me if i am wrong, are there not 2 tupes of frogspawn? one thta looks much more like frogspawn and the one that i have and what scott has that is similar looking to Torch?

I may be wrong, but i have seen a frogspawn at my lfs that is very different looking to the one that we all tend to have. Its never as colourful either.

6. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Beautiful frogspawn omard, and great information too thanks for sharing!

7. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Awesome, we had a huge frogspawn, 10 heads. It grew like crazy until one of our true percs decided to host it. It thrived for a few months after the hosting began, now it is gone...:(

8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Yes, some frogspawn have red tentacles with Green "Nipples" and same have green tentacles with red "nipples"

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Sometimes people buy Euphyllia and it slowly degrades and then dies in their tank. Then they test their water and everything is fine. They check the flow where the coral was located.....fine again. They can't figure out why it died.

Often, it started dieing at the time of purchase. Euphyllia hold a LOT of water in their tissues. When buying one, make sure you have the clerk irritate it while under water so it pulls most of it's tissue into it's skeleton. Otherwise, the weight of it's tissue while in the air temporarily can cause a separation from the skeleton leading to a subsequent bacterial infection. Usually a brown jelly infection.

2 people like this.
  11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Curt thats about the whole species problem many do not understand their shipping and handling needs , Thats what I find give the Elegance such a bad name You have to shadow them to pull into the skeleton as tight as possible before gagging and never ever touch the white areas where the flesh extends over any skin oils there will cause tissue problems .

1 person likes this.
  12. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

Mine has been in the tank several months now, and has not grown much, and seems reluctant to feed. (i've never seen it get anything to it's mouth.)
    So from what was presented here, I could try a lower flow and somewhat darker spot? -Especially if feeding by hand?
    Thanks,