Sump??

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by redviper748, Nov 22, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. redviper748

redviper748 Astrea Snail

I have a 75 gallon tank and I am setting up a sump, does anybody have any diagrams on how high and far apart I should put the dividers in a 20 gallon long tank? Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

http://www.3reef.com/forums/attachm...-copied-birdlady-copycatsump.jpg?d=1100419307
    OK, I'm not saying mine is right. Just use it as information and go from there. If you look at the picture the flow from the aquarium goes down to the right side of the refugium. It is sectioned off in a small area so that it doesn't create turbulent flow in the sand or around the plants. The water then has to flow up to get into the main section of the sump/refugium. As it flows thru the main area the water is directed downward towards the middle of the tank. This creates low and moderate flow areas in the main area for different types of mAcroalgae. It also keeps the water from just flowing from the top to the top with little intermixing in the main area. The next area is for mechanical filtration. It is compact and allows for the use of sponges or carbon to placed plus all the flow has to go through there. The left wall is set about an 1 1/2" lower than the right so the sump doesnt have to fill all the way up to start pumping. Plus it allows some bacflow from the aquarium without overflowing the sump. The left area was strictly designed for the size of my pump. I didn't want to drill any glass so I used a submersible pump. If the siphon breaks on the overflow the pump can only pump out the water from the sectioned off area it is in. So it leaves the sump full of water and usually theres enough water in the bottom of the left side to keep the pump from burning up.
    Look around there are other designs. I amsure you will find one you like.

Jim

4. redviper748

redviper748 Astrea Snail

sump/ fuge tank?

Does anybody else have any more diagrams that will help me? Thanks!

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

6. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

7. Rougie

Rougie Plankton

Great links everyone! Really helpful!

8. Click Here!

9. Bwlr

Bwlr Plankton

10. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Yes, check out the melevs site. I posted that site last year and built my sump from one of the designs. I used a simple design of 3 compartments. One for the flow of water from the tank to the sump where my skimmer sits. This overflows into the middle compartment for my DSB and Refugium. This then overflows into the last compartment where my return pump sits. The center compartment is the largest with the 2 end compartments built to fit my skimmer and return pump. Its very simple and works well.

11. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

I'm a little concerned with a 20 gal being used for a sump/fuge. It may not be able to handle the volume in a power outage on a 75 gal tank

12. Bwlr

Bwlr Plankton

I have a 20 sump on my 75.

It works. :)