Still looking

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by kwinter1, Dec 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Bridgelux or CREE which is better?

1. Bridgelux

100.0%
  2. CREE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

For a 6 foot tank you could run ai sols for $1300! even the new EcoTech's might run only $2100 for your tank.

2. Click Here!

3. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

If only i weren't a poor college student...

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

3 of these and you should be good! Under $600!
    DIY LED Aquarium Light Kit - LED PUR - LED PAR

about the same cost as the T5's you're looking at when you consider you'll have to replace the bulbs if ya want corals! then have to replace them every 8 or 9 months or so!

5. kwinter1

Indeed .... will have to see if i can find anyone that has had experience with these.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That could be a good possibility. I don't think Bridgelux LED are considered in the dame league as Cree but I would think they would be more than sufficient.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

here's a link for the very basics, but should give ya a good start! Then read up on the aquastyle threads in the led forum! let me know if ya have any questions! I too was looking at the t5's, I have one of the cheapies like you are looking at, but if you're gonna want any higher light required corals, you're gonna have to keep good bulbs, which like i mentioned are gonna run ya about$200 every 8 months or so! Something to consider! whereas led's should last ya at minimum 5 or so years if not 10!

http://www.3reef.com/forums/led-aqu...me-good-led-reading-budget-diyers-127080.html

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

That's heavily debated, but i think the general consensus is that Cree's are better, but how much better? Some say bridgelux are equal, that being said i had reefwerks build mine with Cree's!

Here's the thread about the aquastyle lights, which are the same as the previous link!
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/led-aquarium-lighting/diy-kits-aquastyle-online-china-112497.html

10. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we need to graduate so we can have our dream tanks... but it seems like forever and a day away.

11. kwinter1

I think the light went out at the end of my tunnel haha

12. kwinter1

Thanks, read I will, but might have to be tomorrow my eyes hurt from staring at the computer for to long. If i go with t5 my best bet will be the 72" aquatic life. The $550 isn't bad but the constant kick in the nuts for new lights is nothing to look forward too. I am going to read up on LEDS for a week or two seeing as I'm not going to start building my stand until after this weekend I have sometime. The thing that worries me about leds is it appears the "right" combination of colors is still out there.