Small white spots

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by sckeLL, Dec 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sckeLL

sckeLL Astrea Snail

G'day,

I posted the other day in the ID forum about some small white insect like things that appeared on the glass of my tank and ate all the coraline algae on it. see http://www.3reef.com/forums/id/white-bug-things-eating-coraline-algae-55093.html

Since then, my fish have developed some white spots on them. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or not. Each of my 3 fish has 5-20 dots on them. They vary in size a bit, but most are tiny and very hard to get on camera. The fish are all eating and not acting particularly strange. Here's a video of them today:

I checked my parameters on Monday when I noticed them appear. Everything was good (0 nitrates, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 9 alk) except for PH was at 7.0! I hooked up the air to a powerhead which rapidly brought the PH up to 7.6, then ordered some SeaChem Marine Buffer, which in the last couple of days has brought it up to 8.0 (I'll continue dosing this until it's at 8.3).

So my question is, is this ich due to the stress of the low PH, something to do with these bugs (or pods or whatever), or some kind of scab/injury/infection that developed due to the incredibly low PH?

What would you recommend doing in this case considering I don't have a quarantine tank? (no room :( ). I've seen some good reports on Vertonex. Note that I have hermit crabs, some corals and snails.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Can sorta see 2 dots behind tuskfish's eye here:
    [​IMG]
    And near his tail here:
    [​IMG]
    Again on his eye and on his fin:
    [​IMG]
    And can make them out a bit on the tomato clown here:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, the spots could be partial to the unstable parameters and the changes to get it stable. Keep good water quality, make sure fish are eating healthy and, make sure inhabitants aren't stressing others with fighting etc. What I mean by this is compatibility.
    Killer Fish.....
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Looks like pods to me. Congrats not a bad thing. Wish I could get them

1 person likes this.
  5. sckeLL

sckeLL Astrea Snail

Thanks, I'm going to keep a lot closer eye on water parameters from now on. Would you suggest putting that Vertonex stuff in or just waiting for a while to see how it goes?

As a side note, is the Youtube feature working? The video doesn't seem to want to show. The video is here anyway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEWESBQZy5Y

6. sckeLL

sckeLL Astrea Snail

Do pods attach to fish?

7. missionsix

I don't know what vertonex is.

8. Click Here!

9. sckeLL

sckeLL Astrea Snail

10. missionsix

Your fish look fine. I wouldn't use/do anything like that til' last resort. You start worrying about "spots" just before your fish are so covered that they are at risk of the gills being attacked. Sit back and enjoy. As I said Happy home, good food and, good water quality is a happy fish.
    [SCROLL]:fish:[/SCROLL]

1 person likes this.
  11. sckeLL

sckeLL Astrea Snail

Thanks for the reassurance.

12. sckeLL

sckeLL Astrea Snail

Things are getting a lot worse now :(
    The fish seem to be stressing out, often twitching like they're being bitten. The harlequin is just hiding in his corner (but did come out when he smelt his dinner).
    The dots have spread on to all the fishes eyes which are now looking cloudy.
    This clown is the only one I can get a photo of the problem on, but the other side of him is worse:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Params are fine.. 0 nitrate/ammonia/nitrite, 8.0 PH now, 1.025 sg.
    Corals and crabs seem happy too.
    Is it still best to do nothing?