White bug things eating coraline algae

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by sckeLL, Nov 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sckeLL

sckeLL Astrea Snail

G'day,

I was wondering if you guys would know what these hundreds of small white bugs are in my tank. I can't really take a picture because they're so tiny. They look like they're about 1mm long and are spread out over my glass, but mainly concentrated around patches of coraline algae. They move quite quickly. I can't see any legs on them, but they seem to have a tail. They could have legs however as they're so small I can't really tell.

I'm not sure if it's a coincidence, but my harlequin tuskfish also seems to be a bit distressed since they appeared, spending most of it's time hiding in caves when previously it was swimming around the tank like it owned the place.

Any ideas what these could be and if they're good, bad or neutral?

2. Click Here!

3. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

Sounds like some kind of pod. If your fish is destressed it could be isopods. Are any of the "white bugs" attached to the harlequin tusk?

1 person likes this.
  4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

copepods (so many to choose from);D they're a good thing!

5. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

For a good, quick ID a pic is always a must!

6. sckeLL

sckeLL Astrea Snail

I can't be sure as they're so small and the tuskfish doesn't like sitting still, but it's quite possible. There are some small white dots on him but they could be sand/bubbles.

7. sckeLL

sckeLL Astrea Snail

I tried to take a pic but they're too small and my camera auto focuses on the inside of the tank rather than the glass :( I'll keep trying to get one.

8. Click Here!

9. sckeLL

sckeLL Astrea Snail

[​IMG]
    Sorry, that's about the best pic i can get.

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I am sure those are copepods and the good ones. Isopods are much larger. As far as eating coralline I really don't think that they are capable of eating it. They mostly exist by eating phytoplankton.

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Hmmm. Are you taking these pics during the day? Or is this under very dim light?

12. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

If you don't like these guys, you could get a predator of theirs. There are a lot of fish that will eat them.