Reefgeek T5 SLR Retrofit Installation Help

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by infamous, Dec 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Thank you. It really doesn't seem to complicated but when it comes to electrical things i know not to fool around. I will study the diagrams some more and see if i can understand them.

Its just confusing where the wire loops around the end caps/bilbs.

Let me know when you can help me. Maybe we can get this done over IM.

Thanks again. :cheesy:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/dr-frags-3-week-old-180-a-55308.html
    Heres the link to my tank thread, I don't think I have as much pics of the lights in there as I thought! I never took pics as I was building the frame, I never really think to do all that.

The frame was built under the canopy, with yours being so tall it might be advantageous for you to do the same, but I know a guy that has a DIY canopy he built for his MHs but swapped them out to T5 and his T5s are probably a good 10" away, so yours will work. I also saw a guy in the Aquactinics forums on RC that has his T5s a foot away and STILL as SPS on the bottom of a 24" tall tank!!
    I just wanted mine as close as possible to really crank out the light and also that was the only way I could fit my existing canopy over my retro frame.

I will try to find more pics for you!

Happy reefing!

4. infamous

I finally figured it out, thanks to you guys, i stayed up untill 4 am this morning but i got it :)

I think maybe i should make an installation thread to help others. What do you guys think?.

I still have two more to hook up

Special thanks go out to IBM, gazog, Dr.Frag and tigermike

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Congrats! and yes that might be a good idea, I am sure others will benifit from it.

6. infamous

Sorry i forgot to thank you gazog, if you didn't point out the brackets, i would still have the endcaps backwards. ;D

7. Dr.Fragenstein

I wish I could have been of more help... But I am no good with describing things... and I can't post pics w/ this computer becuae it doesn't read the camera! Good job!! Welcome to the world of DIY t5s!!

Happy DIYing!!

8. Click Here!

9. IHAVEMTS

IHAVEMTS Fire Shrimp

letting your kids hang on your tank BRAVE

10. Dr.Fragenstein

I live on the edge IHAVEMTS!!!! 8) They werent really hanging on it, it just looks that way!

They don't mess with the tank quite as much as they used to, which of course is a good thing!