Reef tank

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by cira030, Oct 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

this thread was just a place where i could ask people based on MY sircumstances and situation u know. just sorta some last minute advice

2. Click Here!

3. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

4. plop

plop Astrea Snail

I don't think he was trying to be mean or anything, and really you can't do enough research. The more you know the better your decisions will be. Also, if you have done said research you should of had answers to many of your questions already, ph level for example. Now, I'm not trying to be mean either, but don't just rely on forum threads, you need to look at every resource available. Then you can make educated choices.

Most IMPORTANTLY....

WELCOME!!!! Great looking tank, and I noticed your water is crystal clear! I'm jealous, mine has a yellow tint to it, and I'm still looking for the source.

Enjoy 3reef it's like Disney Land for us fish nuts!! 8)

5. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

The first pic is of my 2 light fixtures. the 2nd is a picture of what is inside of one of the fixtures.

(each of those were worth 40 so please dont tell me it was worth it ):

Attached Files:

6. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

plop, i know man and i wasnt implying he was. but that is not what i was saying about the thread thing. trust me i had to search about 1 thousand different things on google man. i did my research haha. thanks a lot for the compliments. ya my water is crystal clear. its all thanks to the filter. 30 gal. 2 cartridges.

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Oh no....you can have corals. I just needed to know what kind of lighting you had. It looks like you have PCs. So you can keep Softies and some LPS. I have PCs in my tank. Go ahead and visit my thread and look at what I have. That will give you an idea of what you can have in your tank as well. You really lucked out on your choice of anenomes too. Condys are very light forgiving. Most require more than what you have. I lucked out too. My condy is wonderful. Very good anenome.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/pharmrjohns-90g-thread-52614.html

The deal with Zoos is they usually come in a colony already attached to a rock. Hence the name Zoo rock. Same with mushrooms. I have two rocks with many small mushrooms on them. Kenya trees you can buy as frags and actually rubber band them to the little rock of your choice. Three days later, remove the rubberband and the stalk will have attached itself. Or you can buy a frag already attached. I have done both with Xenia and Kenya Trees.

thanks,
    ryan

P.S.
    this message was directed toward pharmrjohn but if anyone else can help me that would be great.[/quote]

Oh yeah......your tank can look like that. It just takes time. His tank is what I want mine to look like someday. So I buy my frags and watch them grow. I am a long way away........but I will get there.

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Oh.....feeding them. I don't feed mine, much. I will give them some phytoplankton on occasion. Maybe once a month. Just in case. Most are filter feeders and get what they need out of the water column or have photosynthetic organisms living within them that do the job. That is why lighting is soooooo important. For photosynthesis.

10. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

Get rid of all the damsels. Bioload is too much and if you add corals you are taking a chance of them getting nipped at with the damsels. You can't over filter. You can either get a skimmer or change the water alot. You could probably add a lot of either zoas or shrooms now, if you get rid of the damsels. The anemone isn't going to live for long under those lights. 10 gal is good start, with it being 9 months old you can for sure add a good amount of coral, only limited by space and lighting.

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Actually the condy might live under the PCs. Mine has been happy for four months now and looks very, very good. But you need to know that if an anenome dies in a tank, it will take everything with it. It is a tank killer. So with the condy, watch for a change in color in the base and it's (lack of) ability to attach to rock. That will be the sign you need to remove it. And you should get a QT up and running. It is a good idea.

12. cira030

cira030 Fire Worm

Ok in my tank (UPDATE!) i now only have 3 clowns and a royal gramma. the clowns seem to be looking for their lost friends (damsels) ): but the good news is that my royal gramma has never even left her corner in the back of the tank but now she is swimming happily in the front and all around! but on the BAD! side, i completely destroyed my tank in the process of taking the damsels out. i had to end up taking every piece of live rock out. the are quick suckers! haha. but actually my stacked liverock looks even better than before so thanks. cant wait to add all that coral/zoas!

thanks,
    ryan

PS
    what is a good anemone/ANYTHING!! that i can buy that would host my clowns? ive always dreamed of that haha

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008