Ooohh noo....

Discussion in 'Algae' started by surfrgirl61187, Jan 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

byprosis is notorious for hitchhiking on corals/frag plugs ect you can definitely move fish and almost all inverts (hermits/snails be cautious with) but you'd probably just be better off to write off the corals or maybe just get a frag of each and grow them back out on new plugs

2. Click Here!

3. surfrgirl61187

surfrgirl61187 Skunk Shrimp

Ok.. I think we will scrap the corals.. we dont want to chance anything.. Our corals were really cheap because we bought two for the price of one and the store was closing down so we got a good discount and our 3rd one was dieing so we got a discount on that one too.. We were thinking about starting our little 5gal just for the fish to stay in tell we get our bigger tank cycled but our 5gal is not running.. Do you think we could just add in some sand from our big tank into the little 5gal and put in some of our LR so then that way they cycle would be faster?? We want to start over as soon as we can if you know what I mean..

4. surfrgirl61187

Also we would probably have to scrap the sand too right??.. It has some growing in it in places..

5. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

dont move the sand over, you just risk the possibly moving the algae with the sand. How bad is the tank? can give some pics of the whole tank. I am a strong believer of trying to save a tank, and not nuking it. It is alot more work, but i have finally got the upper hand on a terrible GHA problem (my g/f call my tank post-apocliptic) i know that GHA is easier to get rid of then byopsis, but you can fight it, IMO

if you would want to fight it i would start by cuting down time your main daylight is on. then pull out what live rock you can and scrubbing it with a toothbrush (i use a bucket full of old tank water after a water change), the more live rock you pull and scrub the better. Then i tried to rasie my dKH using almost double the amount of prescribed B-Inoic. Then i would get some algae eating fish, my LFS ahd luck with rabbitfish, i had luck with red lip blenny, and lawnmower blenny, i have heard of a coral beauty eating byopsis but that is just good luck( i got a blue spotted sea hare for the GHA, which worked aswome) i would also cut down feeding and more water changes. I would spend hours a day picking chucks of algea off the rock between water changes. These steps saved my tank, i dont had byopsis but you never know, good luck...it was a long fight

6. surfrgirl61187

Thank you for this info:).. but... We have done everything you listed except for the raise in dkh:-/... Our lights are on for a total of 6hrs.. We have scrubbed the LR several times it just comes back faster and thicker:angry:... We upped our clean up crew and they dont touch the stuff... We also only feed our fish every other day and it is such a small amout I am surprised they still poo;)..lol.. We upped our water changes to every other day for about 3months (which is pricy when you are paying for the water from a machine).. then we changed our type of water to distilled and filtered ocean water and still no change:-/... It really sucks.. we have stuck this one out for as long as we could.. Just to find out its not even GHA... I have a thread about my battle with this stuff but that was when I thought it was the GHA... Im sure if it was for sure the GHA we wouldnt have the problem anymore... We even got a better skimmer and a phosphoban reactor.. we got those about 4 months ago.. I agree with you though we have put a lot of time into our tank just for us to start over.. Its hard to swollow.. I will be posting some pics hopfully tomorrow... Our tank is asleep... Thank you again for this info...

1 person likes this.
  7. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

wow i am sorry to hear that, sometimes it is too hard to come back from i lost a tank once like that. i hated losing it, and i dont like seeing happen to other people. Well with what ever you do good luck and k+ plus to you.

8. Click Here!

9. surfrgirl61187

Thank you :).. We are pricing everything right now.. We would like to get the ball rolling as soon as possible.. Considering this has been going on for a long time.. We tried to tough it out but it looks like it won:(... On a happier note.. We get to make a better aqua scape.. And switch from a canister filter to a wet/dry;D.. We would love to up grade but we live in an on campus apartment from our university and they have a max size of 25gal.. we went over one gal.. like anyone would notice..lol..::) Well I will probably post a new thread about our progress once we get all the new parts.. Keep us in your reefer prayers;)..

10. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Good morning. I have read this thread quickly, so I will apologize if I missed something.

You said you have been battling hair algae for a long while that has now turned to Byprosis. To answer one question, no your green hair did not “turn into” Byprosis – it just lost the battle for the excess nutrients. I looked at your parameters but I assure you they are not reliable. With a nuisance algae present in your DT it’s thriving off of something, I’ll assume we agree here. Your tank is producing the excess nutrients at the same rate that the nuisance algae is absorbing it, thus as you test the water “appears” good. (mind you, this is just my opinion that comes from my own experience – I realize you mind’s are made up on your next move). I strongly feel that the root cause still exists and without addressing it would result in the same effect down the road.

Do you have a refugium? Do you use RO/DI – if so have you checked TDS? Like I said, I know you are up to your ears in frustration and set to nuke the tank, I just wanted to put these thoughts in this thread in the event it comes up on a search down the road. A tank without a refugium could resolve the issue by adding one now. I am sorry for your frustrations – nuisance algae can truly ruin the reefing experience (for a little while anyway)

11. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I would nuke the whole tank, even if you get rid of the algae by removing the rock and sand the spores are still in the tank. Once the conditions are right for it to sprout again it will and you'll be even more heartbroken.
    Trust me on this. I tore down my 180 and nuked it because of this crap.

I hate Bryopsis! It is the devil!!!! :devil1:

12. bc219

bc219 Millepora