NPS tank with only ATS filtration?

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by zoazack911, Nov 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I have never seen a successful NPS tank with just an ATS. I think they just aren't that efficient given how much food needs to go into these systems. I remember a while back, there was some discussion about this on azoox.org and the general consensus was it wasn't feasible. The successful ones seem to feed a lot, often and skim it all out, with a big skimmer, between feedings.

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Feasible is a great word choice. Because there is no reason you can't do it. It's just not going to be worth it. It would take a lot of screens all getting cleaned on a different day. I would imagine it would take about 6-8 of the scrubbers I have to keep the nitrate and phosphate low enough. This is completely possible, but not really feasible from a maintenance stand point. And let something weird happen that kills the macro growth (no idea what could happen, but things happen) Then the tank is dead by the time the screens are producing decent algae again.

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

6. zoazack911

zoazack911 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well after reading Vinny's thread I believe I am going to try a DIY 4 way ATS scrubber. This way I have redundant (4) verticle screens to grow algae on. The horizontal method just seems impractical as far as space goes. And that way I can scrape one and leave the other three growing etc. I think since the feedings just produce huge amounts of ammonia this method should work. I have to work on the design though. And since I cant even stock this tank til next summer it will give me time to run the tank and feed it as I would with livestock and just take readings for the next few months. If I can maintain parameters I can then stock it.

7. herring_fish

herring_fish Plankton

I am restarting my NPS tank. I have been an ATS user for many years. I like that I can feed as much as I want to and still keep my N and P very low. Is anyone still talking about this here?

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator