My DIY Horizontal ATS It's working!!New RB LED light.

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Vinnyboombatz, Oct 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Well after much thought I decided I wanted to run an ATS but wanted to try to figure a way to incorporate it into the unused refugium section in my sump.I think I have figured out a way for people to easily incorporate the ATS without the use of an extra air pump.Constructive criticism of my design is appreciated and encouraged but lets try to keep the comments within the realm of good taste.Alex this means you.;Dlol

Tools and supplies:
    One sheet of plastic needle point canvas
    Light diffuser(eggcrate)
    Hole saw drill bit
    zipties
    razor blade
    pair of pliers
    scissors
    Clamp light fixture
    24Watt 2700k CFL Spotlight bulb

Using the pair of pliers to gently snap the eggcrate into the desired sizes.I then ziptied it all together.
    I then cut the needlepoint canvas roughed it up with the hole saw bit and ziptied it to the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The clamp light will be hung from directly over the screen but for now I have it temporarily mounted to begin the process of growing algae.

The screen is submerged approximately 1 inch under the waters surface and you can see I have a good flow running across it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It should be very easy to clean by removing the entire assembly and scrubbing the accumulated algae.

I will periodically update this thread.;)8)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

neat I found thaough you really have to rough up the screen to get it to grow well.

looks like an interesting plan ;D

4. Vinnyboombatz

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Interesting design, it will be fun to see how this works out.

1 person likes this.
  6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Nice Vinny.
    In case you want to go further with it. :)

matt

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. weems23

weems23 Astrea Snail

I have run a few horizontal ATS like Matts link with good results, but never seen one like this so it should interesting.

10. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

I'd like to see this be the first submerged screen (without air bubbles) that works. :0

However, unfortunately, I have seen this many times, and they just don't work. Horizontals need a large tilt, and rapid water running down them, and strong light (2700k) just a few inches away. Or if underwater, then air bubbles running up them (UAS). In other words, they always need contact with air.

Hope I'm wrong though :(

11. Vinnyboombatz

Thanks for the replies everyone.I have over 700 gph going through the sump.I guess I could try to raise the screen to the surface or just barely below it but out of curiousity I am going to leave it and see what happens.Thanks again for all the input.;)

12. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Did you zip tie all 4 corners of the needle point canvas, or just the side "Up river" on the frame, since I suspect both sides of the canvas will need to be scraped, and with just the up river side having the zip ties will allow the down side to have a hinge effect. Just a thought, although the bottom won't have nearly as much scrubbing work to do. Awesome idea, following.