New want to start a reef tank.

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by triplexnote, Nov 25, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. triplexnote

triplexnote Plankton

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi and Welcome to 3reef,

That package you posted looks fine although I would not purposely add a peppermint shrimp unless you had an aiptasia problem.

Look at ReefCleaners.org for a similar type of package purchase.

Looking forward to your progress.

4. nvladik

nvladik Flamingo Tongue

Hi and Welcome,

I also looked at the seamless sumps when I first started out, my thoughts were:
    • Too expensive for what they are
    • Cant see what's going on inside

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Welcome to the forum!

I am far from an expert in terms of sumps but I agree in that I'd like to see into the sump from the side. Have you thought about looking for a used system on craig's list or a local reef forum? I might look more specifically at live rock that you'll need for your tank before ordering a complete package for clean up - that's jmo.

6. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

The sump seems hard to maintain. I'd build one with a tank and some custom baffles. Build to your liking. The package is pretty interesting. I'd definitely think about this if I was new to the hobby.

7. triplexnote

triplexnote Plankton

I want to get a 240 gallon tank 72"x24"x30" high. What size sump is recommended? How many pumps and powerheads are needed? And what flow rates should I look for?

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

10. triplexnote

triplexnote Plankton

I really like your tank. But I am still confused about sumps. Do you have drawings or instructions and specializations on how to make and set up the sump?

11. civiccars2003

Thanks. Are you looking to do just a sump or a refugium? My suggestion is to figure out all the equipment that will be placed in the sump and desigh the baffled sections around that equipment. The epuipment in my tank includes return pump, skimmer, heaters. I have a section for my refugium and section for my drain from the dt.

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

The "Package" looks ok, I don't like the idea of adding the clean up crew at the same time of the live rock as your tank will still cycle to some extent. Also keep in mind that true "live" rock is more expensive than dry rock and ships wet so is more expensive to ship too. You're looking at $2-$3 per pound for dry rock and $5-$7 for live rock. I think you should just go with dry rock and cycle your tank normally. It will save you money and you won't have as big a risk of unwanted hitchikers. Trust me when I say that not everything that comes on true live rock you would want in your tank. If you get a bad bubble algae or Bryopsis outbreak, there's not much you can do but take out the rock and bleach it.

Billme likes this.