My First DIY! (Stand + Canopy)

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Regf, Jan 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Looks great! I will be using the same design fro the frame on my stand.

4. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks!

5. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

Yeah, its very cheap, the stand itself was under 18 bucks, its just all the trim that cost anything~

6. Seano Hermano

How much did it cost for the skin/trim work?

I'm going to add about 6-8" to the back of the stand so I can hide my plumbing and equipment. Do you think I could get away with a 2X4 top frame, or should I use 2X6s?

7. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

The total cost of all the trim and doors were about 300, only because I got it mostly all finished, I still had to repaint it, to match some of the whites but you could go with unfinished trim and paint over it acouple of times,

2x4 will be fine, mine are all 2x4, if anything, if you are doing the exact build I did, if you noticed on each leg of the stand there are three pieces of 2x4 which will be the support of the DT, two of which are resting on the bottom frame, and one directly touching the ground, If I would of done anything different I would of used 4x4 for those four legs that are on the ground, increase the strength of stand,

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

I based the design of my tank stand frame off the same design, except I think the top used 2x6s...the only reason I wasn't sure if I should use 2X6s or if I can get away with 2X4s is because the tank will not be centered(front to back) on the stand. Here's what I came up with...not trying to steal the thread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What do you think?

10. Regf

Regf Coral Banded Shrimp

'

That looks sick! When are you starting it? Are you gonna have a top on it?

11. Seano Hermano

Thanks! :)

I just started my build thread a few minutes ago. I will be going to Lowe's tomorrow morning and would like to have the frame put together by Monday.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-of...acific-my-75g-sps-reef-tank-build-104417.html

No glass lid/canopy over this tank. I will be using 3 LED pendants. The tank trim will be painted white and finished with crown moulding, or the like. A screen mesh top will be built to prevent jumping fish.

12. cjrudy

cjrudy Coral Banded Shrimp

So I built the exact same stand as in this thread. I built the frame and before I finished it I tested it with the tank. I am kinda nervous because when I put the tank on the stand which is on the carpet, it is not real hard to get the tank to move back and forth. I dont know if thats from the rug or the stand (which seemed level when I built it), or because the 90 is 24" high, the stand is 34 " high. Or maybe I am just being paranoid, its not like it was ready to fall over, but I could get it to move. Just wondering how it will be with water in it.