Seano's 29G Reef

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Seano Hermano, Feb 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Ok, so I have talked about this a bit already so I figure I might as well start my build thread. But first I want to say Thanks.

I have to say I have never properly set up a full reef tank. I started with a 29 gallon FOWLR for about 1 year. It had a HOB power filter and crushed coral substrate. In the tank, was 8 lbs of rock, and a fake sculpture from Wal-Mart. I had a single fish(Coral Beauty Angel) and 2 cleaner shrimp.

I joined 3reef in the idea of switching from a FOWLR to a reef tank. I was in awe by the colors of the corals, as well as in shock by the prices of lights and equipment. So, slowly but surely I have been working. I wanted to upgrage to a 75 gallon tank since I joined. It was my intent to have that size reef tank, but surely could not afford one at that time. So my 29g tank sat there for nearly 7 months until we moved to our current house across town. 3 months later, I have a 29 gallon tank with plenty of rock, the starts of a sump, but no lights and no equipment.

I have learned a lot in the past 10 months I have been a member of 3reef. When I joined this forum I knew nothing about corals. I knew little about the nitrogen cycle; how to properly keep my water parameters in line; and how to keep a healthy tank. I remember designing my first sump with bio-balls. Powerman was the first person to tell me about sumps; I've progressed a lot.

Thank you, everyone.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

We are glad to help, can't wait for you to get this one started. Welcome to the 75 gallon club.

4. Seano Hermano

Below, are my plans for this tank...

This will be an SPS dominant tank with some high-flow LPS corals. I would like to create a bio-tope of the Indo-Pacific waters.

-75g Display tank
    -55g sump/fuge
    -10g ATO tank

-Mag Drive 9.5 return pump
    -Coralife 125 protein skimmer
    [STRIKE]Either a Reef Octopus or Phosban 150 reactor running ecoBAK[/STRIKE] I will switch to the reactor if I am not satisfied with results from fuge/skimmer/ATS.
    [STRIKE]Koralia 1400X 3, plus the 3X koralia 425s I already have.[/STRIKE] Instead, I will try to go with 2 Vortech MP10w ES pumps, each rated at 500-1575gph.
    [STRIKE]
    I will have duel Super Nano overflow boxes(300-600gph) from Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff. This will keep the flow going, in the case that one ever happens to get clogged. But it will also give me more flow than the 700gph overflow, also available from Glass-Holes.[/STRIKE] A BeanAnimal overflow with a full height box or a semi-C2C box will be used instead.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The return line will be drilled into the back of the tank. A bulkhead will be used and then I will attach Lo-Line to the inside.
    3/4 Inch Loc-Line Return Kit - Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff

As far as flow, this should be plenty. The 2 MP10 powerheads will give me 3950gph through the display. When taking in consideration of water displacement by rock, my 75g tank will be more like 60gallons of actual water, giving my tank(when including the return from pump) a 65X turner-over rate.

Aqua Controller Jr. w/DC8, temp probe/pH probe and Lunar lighting module

[STRIKE]I will still be going with LEDs on this build...3 of the Orphek PAR bulbs instead of 2.[/STRIKE] LEDs will wait. I will be using an ATI 6xT5HO fixture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This cabinet door behind the tank will hide the plumbing, but also serve as a "controlling station" for the whole tank. The Aqua Controller Display module will go on the top shelf, the direct connect 8 in the middle, with the lunar lighting module at bottom, in this cabinet.
    [​IMG]

Here, you can see the controlling station will be on a piano hinge and will open out of the way so I can access the shut-off valve to the left OF box. There is a door on the right side too, but it will be for the right OF and water change drain.
    [​IMG]

As of now, my stocking list includes...
    -Yellow Eye Kole Tang or Bistletooth tang
    Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Kole Yellow Eye Tang
    Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Spotted Bristletooth Tang, Ctenochaetus truncatus
    -7 Eviota Gobies
    Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Reef Aquariums: Red Neon Eviota Goby
    -Scarlet Pinstripe Wrasse
    Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Scarlet Pin Stripe Wrasse
    -2 Yellow Stripe Clingfish
    Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellow Stripe Clingfish
    -2 Pacific Cleaner Shrimp
    -2 Peterson shrimp
    -3 sexy shrimp

-Maxima Clam
    -Squamosa Clam
    -Flame Scallop
    Electric Flame Scallop
    -Sea cucumber(not sure what kind yet.)
    -Orange Sea Star
    Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Orange Sea Star
    -some misc. crabs like acro crabs and the porcelain crab.

In the future I would like to get a tree or ball sponge and when I am ready for it, an Indonesian Sea Squirt.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  5. Seano Hermano

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great looking plans. Do not buy sugar size sand it will blow all over the place. I have a Koralia 750 I don't use because of the sand. That would get me to 4700gph.

7. Seano Hermano

The and I have now is sugar-fine Carib-Sea aragonite. I have the 3 Koralia 425s in my 29g at the top of the glass. I can see sand moving around on the bottom...

What sand would you suggest I get? I like the white aragonite. Where can I buy that from?

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Tomorrow I will go to Lowe's in the morning to purchase the wood for the frame of the tank stand. I will be leaving town after that, so I should have pictures up by Monday.

I also got a deal for the Mag 9.5 pump for $90 shipped.

10. mike007

mike007 Sea Dragon

Looks like it's gonna be sweet! following along for this build too

11. Seano Hermano

Thank you, Mike.

The picture is pretty dark(taken on phone), but this is where the tank will be going...in place of my 29g, which is to become the sump. From the cabinet at right, to the light switch(dimmer) at left is 50".
    [​IMG]

12. Seano Hermano

In order of events, I guess I should explain my sump plan... I'll be right back with that.