kalk or 2 part?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by NittyGritty, Mar 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

Very good point. That set up is only as reliable as the ATO used. It works well for me, but I do worry and monitor the system constantly. Maintaining the water level for the HOB skimmer is also a factor.

Ah, ok. So not really beneficial since you can use alternate methods of dosing at the point Kalk is no longer enough.

2. Click Here!

3. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

I am so glad to see this thread! I had so many questions myself and they were all just answered!
    My parms were always in check due to I was doing a WC every 2 weeks. 30gals out of a 190 gal system with Reef Crystals salt. But, now becoming more lazy, was looking into the dosing. I just ordered a kalk reactor and kalk to try it. It almost seems like the same amount of work as doing a 30gal WC every 2 weeks! -haha
    But, I am glad to read all these posts to learn the right way!

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

This is not my setup. I just have a kalk drip on a float for an ATO. Not a kalk drip and ATO.
    See this:
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/kent-float-mag-mod-106674.html

As stated I have had this setup before and it never failed, clogged etc.. with general maintenance. (perhaps some of my success can be explained by the intake tube being a half inch up or so from the bottom of the reservoir) It worked the best for me and kalk. If I had a huge tank, perhaps not. But if your tank is average as mine have been, it may as well.

1 person likes this.
  5. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

An ATO on a float valve with Kalk is by far the safest option. If I had a sump to place the float switch I would have gone with that set up.

1 person likes this.
  6. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Thanks for sharing Matt!

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Every system is different, these threads would be pretty dull if all our systems were the same. In the end, whatever you feel most comfortable with is what you should do. Really I only throw out the counter arguments to try and help anyone reading gain a broad understanding of the possible benefits and or consequences to certain methods, not to definitively declare one is always better, for everyone, under all circumstances. Not to say I don't have strong opinions sometimes, but I at least mostly realize my opinions aren't always 100% correct 100% of the time :lol:

In my opinion though, if you have a very reliable ATO, the bigger risk may very well be the reservoir running dry. In this case then it probably is fine to dose the way clonefarmer suggested. Dosing the way Matt suggests, is extremely safe and reliable as well as very cost effective. Using a reactor may be great for people who don't want to mix kalk all the time, if purity of the limewater and consistency of the effluent aren't an issue. Manually mixing kalk in a bucket with a dosing pump on an ATO allows impurities to settle out of solution, and helps ensure a consistent and specific amount of lime per gallon, but you may need to check on it more. In the end if you understand the details, then they method you choose is correct.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well said.
    What might not be safe is the nightstand I just put this full reservoir on having just filled it after last night's test. I think I will drive some more nails into that thing. :)

10. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

Thank you for your help! You diff make sense and it's much appreciated. Well, I am wither just going to make a simple DIY drip made from a water bottle (shown in BRS video or on reefkeeper.com) or add it to my 5 gallon bucket that is feed to my sump with a JBJ ATO. Although, I think it sends a bit too much in the sump at a time.

11. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Sure, your welcome :) I'm not really a big fan of dosing kalk quickly, so if it isn't possible to switch to an aqualift pump, or peristaltic pump, then I'd prefer a drip. I like the aqualifts myself since you can get them for like 15 bucks. The parastalic pumps are more reliable, but also a lot more expensive. I've heard too many horror stories from dosing kalk quickly though, so, I like a drip rate for dosing or at least close to a drip. Sometimes with a more powerful pump, you can put a ball valve inline to reduce the flow too, if that's easier. Certainly no shortage of options.

12. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

True, and the rreason why the DIY drip bottle is sounding so attractive is I have total control as to when and how long and how fast. Seems pretty simple. So, I guess I need to just pick up the supplies adn fig out how much kalk to add.