Kent Float Mag Mod

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Here is a simple mod for mounting a Kent Marine float switch for those of you that want to get your drip on and don't want to drill your sump. After some discussion with 3reefers I took an old Tunze magnet mount, lightly sanded one side and glued a 1/2" thick piece of acrylic on it. Not much to it. It's easy to adjust too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mod Cost:

1) Kent Marine Float $15
    2) E6000 Glue $5.75
    3) Custom acrylic piece from Tap Plastic $1! And I got a big piece of 1/2" scrap! (I love that store)
    4) Tunze Magnet FREE? (Closet find)

The reservoir sits on a night table next to the tank over the sump letting gravity do it's thing. Now I can get back to the old-school kalk drip I used to have back in the early 90's that seemed to get me the best results from kalkwasser. I am psyched. I've been talking about this forever. Thanks 3reefers for the magnet idea.

matt

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

That looks like a useful DIY for those that do not want to drill additional holes
    and a very convenient way to add Auto top off to sumps that are already set up
    and thus aquarist, does not want to do any drilling whilst system is running

how reliable are those float switches? Matt, it looks a good one, but I have never used the Kent model previously

Steve

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hi Steve - I previously used one with kalk for 3 years without fail. Very occasional cleaning was all that was required. I'd eyeball it during water changes.

6. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Hi Matt, this is exactly how I set up my Kent float – well, exactly in concept anyway. I stopped by home depot and picked up a sheet of acrylic for $15 or so and basically made the same set up that you did. Mine is secured in the sump with the skimmer sitting on the base of it. My sump is a 55 gallon tank, so my sump water level is about 18” deep – my skimmer can’t sit that deep to I cut two pieces of acrylic and made an ‘X’ style stand that rests on the foot of my kent drip stand and the skimmer on it. Two sayings come to mind….”Necessity is the mother of invention” and “smart minds think alike”

7. phongt86

phongt86 Bristle Worm

nice mod. where do you get the water jug at? i tried so many different stores

8. Click Here!

9. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Excellent DIY Matt. I need to do something like this for the new 90.

I wonder if replacement magnets for frag racks would have enough hold. I was going to pick up a tunze holder, until I saw the cost..LOL

10. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

It's a Kent gravity fed dosing system. BulkReef Supply, fostersandsmith etc. sell them.

11. phongt86

phongt86 Bristle Worm

The water container?

12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Yeah. I think it's the older version of this.
    Kent Aqua Dose 2.5 gal. - AquaCave

I could've sworn I saw them on BRS last night while setting up my order but couldn't find them there just now.