is there a way to further silence water entering sump?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by WCW, Aug 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. WCW

WCW Feather Duster

powerman, not sure how i could incorporate that with an overflow box. I saw your link to this earlier in someone else's post. I built the Hofer Gurgle Buster which took care of the noise at the top end. Now if i could just muffle the flow into the sump. It's not that bad, no where near as bad as the noise was in the overflow, but if i can quiet down the big bubbles it'd be even better ;)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Doh! Sorry....

The stuff I got when I was trying to fix my noise was to put a "tee" on the end of the outlet at the sump. The seemed the best. I had a Mega flow sump before and tried to mimic, but I had a ton of air. Plus my Mega flow was not quiet and would burp from time to time. Had to tune from time to time.

Orient the tee for one end sticking up to allow air to escape, and the other into the sump wit asome pipe for extension below the water.

I tried drilling a whole in my elbow before it turned down into the sump. That was a big mistake. I also tried drilling holes in the pipe that was underwater in the sum and that didn't really work either.

But in my case, I over sized my plumbing and I had a LOT of air. So perhaps those measures will work better for you.