Help with my green Mandarin goby plz!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by saltydogg, Sep 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Till its dinner for the anemone:( This mandarin already has 2 big strikes against it. I too had a 55g and wanted a Mandarin, but I added HOB fuge and spent months and $$$$$$s seeding the tank and getting the pod population up with many different kinds of pods before I added my mandarin. Then I still had to add pods for a few months. You can do it, but you need a fuge ASAP and a few hundred dollars in pods for the first few months at least. I call my mandarin my most expensive fish because I had ($200 in CPR fuge, and I don't want to even guess how much in pods). And you may read a decent number of posts about people successful with them in smaller tanks, but follow that thread for 6 months and chances are you stop hearing about the mandarin;( These fish generally take months to starve.

Here's a perfect example of someone that did everything she could possibly do to keep a mandarin in a smaller tank, including getting an ORA on eating frozen food, and it still didnt work out.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/tropical-fish/keeping-mandarins-nanos-2-a-134633.html

Back to your other fish, can you post more pics of them so we can see what they look like a little better?

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

absolutely untrue about the algea and sponge. They are very cool shrimp however be prepared to spend money on it. I spend about 30.00 a month to feed mine.

I am not going to get on about the mandarin as I have very strong feelings about those also;D and I refuse to sell them to most people at the store. Yes people get mad........but.........:-X

Both of these fish have specific needs and you might not notice a deteroration of the animal until it is too late

4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

it sounds like you actually have a couple things going on in your tank. IMO the clowns and the angel that died has/had velvet (the white cotton appearing thing) and the mandarin appears to have ich. As everyone has said it is very difficult for a mandarin to get ich. Velvet is a HORRIBLE disease with a high mortality rate.

So what to do now..........

regardless of whether or not the fish should be in the system or not....they are and now.....what to treat. There are VERY limited options for treatment in this situation. IMO it is MUCH more stressful to move a fish at this point to a QT tank. Whatever the disease is it is in your tank now. I would ensure that the water paremeters are pristine and that the temperature is very stable. I personally think you need to increase your salinity a little to 1.024 to 1.025 for the inverts. 1.023 is a tad low. Do frequent water changes and feed your fish high quality food supplemented with HUFAS and garlic. A good food IMO is RODS food if you can get it..has this stuff in there already and is a good variety. You might try to add metrodiazole (spelling) in with the food. It is sold by focus and comes in a little blue bottle. It is a powder and seems to help. It is reef safe.

I would not at this point trade the fish back into the LFS. You are just going to introduce this disease into their system, plus they wouldnt take it. You have it in your mind about the anemone so take what you want from what people have told you........just watch it very carefully

5. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

Well its official.. my green mandarin goby has died!!! :( on that note I agree with you on what to do with my tank.. I'm going to do 15% water changes daily, keep close eye on my parameters & get some RODS food... I've been feeding them oceans nutrition formula 2 flakes & formula 2 small pellets... hopefully it all wont crash & I can save my stuff! Thanks for the input...

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

dont add anything else to it for awhile

sorry for your loss

7. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

Oh no! Nothing more in my tank for a while! Thank you!

8. Click Here!

9. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

Has anyone ever heard of or used RUBY REEF RALLY? Its used for curing velvet in a tank.. its supposed to be coral safe...

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

There are no easy cures.

If it says you can safely added it to a reef tank and is safe for corals and inverts it's too good to be true trust me.

As schackmel and myself already posted that does not look like velvet.

If you think that it's velvet and you looked at the video by Mr.Saltwater than you would know there is no product you can simply add to your tank otherwise Mr.Saltwater would have.

When it comes to researching you have to accept not only the answers that you like but also the tried and true ones by experienced hobbyist.

Right now you are considering treating your tank with a product with no valid evidence that it is actually effective in treating disease. Add to that you have no conclusive ID on what lead to the Mandarins death, other than speculation.

Until you see symptoms manifested by other fish in the tank IMO it would be best to chalk this up as a learning experience.

11. saltydogg

saltydogg Bristle Worm

Yes I realize this & is the reason I'm asking the tried & true hobbyists... I wasn't expecting a miracle just hoping I cud figure it out..I wasn't adding in kinda medicine till I know & done my research. For 1 simple fact i wont add till im for a fact positive that, thats what i need to do is because I have not added 1 single drop of any chemical or anything to my tank.. not for cycling it & not for anything...i have done nothing but water changes from day 1 till now... schackmel said in his posts he thought could b velvet on the clowns & mandrian maybe ich.. now most everyone else says ich is not common in mandrians... so im not real sure whats going on..i will do my 10%-15% water changes every other day & keep a watchful eye on everything....now i do know I can visibly see my orange clown is a lot darker than normal & my black clown looks like he has a cotton film on him...as of now they still have an appetite & swim fine & nobody's brushing the rocks like they say so hopefully all is OK.. it just weird tht my goby was fine & swimming & eating & hiding, just all around doing good & then j wake up to this.. I just don't understand..

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I can not really see much on the clowns it could just be the image. If it is Amyloodinim it kills so quickly that once the fish is showing symptoms on the main body treatment is very often ineffective.

On your profile page I provided 2 links one a review of the product and another a very good article written specifically addressing Velvet by experts.

Schmackel is a girl as I am, just a heads up.