HELP Please

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Little Fishy, Aug 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Little Fishy

Little Fishy Astrea Snail

Bummer... i was thinking you meant i was at my limit for starting the tank... not forever =( I like gobys. I think I would like to get a manderin goby. The fist store owes me a cleaner shrimp - is he okay to add? How long is a while Vinnie?

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Saltwater tanks are much different then freshwater tanks in regards to how many fish you can safely add.As far as the Mandarin I would say absolutely not. Your tank is a little small and not near mature enough to sustain a decent pod population which is what they eat. There is a possibility to add one of these in 6 months but you will have to find one that is accepting prepared foods(not as easy as it sounds) to supplement his diet. I would look at a randall goby, Clown goby, Watchmen goby, Orange spotted Goby. There are several different varieties. Here is a good website that gives good basic info on alot of saltwater fish.

Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums

You can go ahead and add your shrimp as long as your tests are o.k. you may want to upgrade your test kits in the future. Dip strips are very unreliable. Salifert makes great kits but are expensive. Red sea has some good kits as well.I would wait at least a week or two before adding any other fish.Good luck!

4. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

I didn't see you mention anywhere if you had a protein skimmer or not?

5. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, probably not.

6. Little Fishy

Vinny... thank you and I saw your tank. It's really beautiful. Clearly you really know what you are doing. I appreciate your advice and thanks for not making fun of me. =) I am just learning and I guess everyone has to start sopmewhere. I got the API drops and the strips. What test kit do you use? Or... what would you reccomend I get?

7. Little Fishy

Hey Clark... no I don't have one yet. My tank is about 3 months old. I listed my eq before but I will say it again - please let me know what you reccomend?

I have a 55g tank with about 50 pounds of live rock and sand - maybe more. Some of these rocks were pretty heavy and some more pourous and not so heavy. Over the last 3 months I probably bought about 30+ rocks not including the live sand. I have an aqua clear 300 filter. I am not sure about the lighting - it came with the tank. I also have a bio wheel but I took it out becuase the wheels kept getting stuck. I have not added a protein skimmer yet. With all of the expense to build a good tank I guess I have just been pacing myself. Please let me know what you guys would suggest.

8. Click Here!

9. Little Fishy

lol, thanks, Pastey 8)

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Thank you for the kind words. We here at 3reef know how hard it is to keep aquariums and try not to judge people because of a lack of knowledge. After all we have all been in your shoes.
    Test kits I use-Ph,MAG,PHOS,NITRATE,- Salifert
    Alkalinity-Hanna photometer
    Salinity-Refractometer
    Calcium-Red Sea(Although I will upgrade to a Hanna when they run out)
    You will definitely want to add a skimmer. I use ASM skimmers personally but there are many good brands out there. Here is just one of many threads discussiing skimmers.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/protein-skimmers/good-hang-protein-skimmer-53134.html
    Adding a sump and overflow is a good idea as well. Helps hide equipment and adds gallonage to your system. Once you purchase a sump you could then do an in sump skimmer.
    I am currently using t5ho on my system but am seriously considering upgrading to leds in the future.
    Sump and lighting are more important when keeping corals.;) I have no problem helping out so if you have questions by all means fire away!!You can also type questions into the search box and get many threads of people asking the same questions you may have.Good luck and happy reefing.8)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011