Hair Algae that just won't go away

Discussion in 'Algae' started by glblguy, Sep 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alovely

alovely Astrea Snail

One thing I found to be really helpful is seahare had one but died after like 3 months dunno why.... secondly, I tried using phosguard didn't help that much I saw a little difference. One thing I would totally recommend though is Kent Tech M Magnesium. I dosed my tank w/ that for about 1 week and all my hair algae turned gray and died.

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Algae problems are like credit card debt. Fast to get out of control but take time and dedication to get eliminated.
    I think your on the right track. Just keep on track and I'm sure you will see it turn around

J

4. photo-guy

photo-guy Flamingo Tongue

Algae will grow in the ocean. It's been my experience that methods like using herbivores only breaks algae down into phosphates and carbon, which is more eagerly consumed by more rapidly growing problem algae.

One of my principles is that a tank's conditions should be able to grow macro algae, or it's not right.

A second one of my principles is macro algae will out compete hair algae.

A third one of my principles is to use distilled water (not through copper). It's about $35 a month which is less than cable tv.

Thus, I always let some macro algae grow in my tanks. It does take management, like a pruning a garden. No big deal. It's an aquarium, not an ocean with a trillion gallons of 'water change'. Something has to be 'managed' after all.

I did let my macro algae get out of hand last couple months and pulled out about 3 gallons of macro algae. So, again, it has to be managed.

The good news: I have zero nasty hair algae.

Good deal for me, as long as I keep up with my 'gardening'. In my opinion.

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Dude for what it is worth, I did all of those things and spent alot of money with no avail. I really stayed on top of all of it. It just kept on coming. I was almost to the point of tearing down the tank and starting over when I found a thread on RC about Algaefix Marine. This guy kept this thread updated step by step. It is not for everyone, and alot of people here will speak strongly against it. Alot know what they are talking about, and some dont. I started a thread when I decided to try it as a last resort. (I am one who does not believe in adding chems to the tank). I stopped updating it due to the lack of interest in the thread. I have pics so you can see the real results. There were a few casualties. A couple of Turbo Snails, and Chaeto eventually died out in the fuge. I have since replaced it. I am virtually algae free now without dosing. I hope this helps you. BTW. Keep doing all the other things, such as GFO, Feeding, etc. I think you have to do all of it to have results.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/algae/algaefix-marine-68631.html

6. photo-guy

You know what I think it sometimes is? Lousy live rock.

When I first got in this hobby back in the mid 1980s, live rock was AMAZING. Everything from shrimps to sponges were hitching a ride inside it. Somtimes I loved watching the rock for weeks before adding anything. It didn't need to be cured. I could throw fish and corals in sometimes the next day!

Today, live rock stinks -- in comparison. I'm a firm believer that live rock has lots of dead uninteresting 'garbage' inside of it these days. While the inside rots, algae grows on the rock and sucks up the phosphates and nitrates percolating out from the rotting stuff inside.

This is my lame theory. No data. No longterm study. Just only an opininon really on why many people measure low phosphates and nitrates in their water, yet have problem algae growing everywhere.

I HATE adding chemicals to a living reef tank. HATE it. I'd rather throw everything out and start over.

But, I am NOT faulting Robman's reasoning -- not doing that. He has a GREAT point! Sometimes you gotta do whatever you gotta do.

For me personally, I stick with 30 gallon tanks these days. Tough to justify doing larger tanks with the low quality stuff we have to work with these days.

Just ranting. Gotta vent.

7. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I tend to agree that it could be lousy rock..no other real explanation

8. Click Here!

9. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Thanks again for the encouragement. Just spent the last hour pulling green hair algae! It does seem to be getting better though, as it's not on near as many rocks as before.

Robman, read your post with a great deal of interest. I'll keep at the natural efforts here for a while but if I can't get it gone, I'll give that stuff a try.

10. photo-guy

Keep at it. If my theory is right, it'll keep getting better as the hair algae consumes the nutrients percolating out of the rocks. You're literally pulling out phosphate and nitrates from inside of the rocks with each handful.

One note of caution, be careful after you see success. You'll need to go through a long time with things looking good, but unseen everything is barely in 'equilibrium'. One stumble of over-feeding, adding too much trace elements (I wouldn't add any for a very very long time), etc, and it might all crash back so fast it'll make your head spin.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Curious as to what your CuC consists of... some people seem to think CuC is just a band-aid... I think they're an integral part of the biosphere.

12. tronb24

tronb24 Coral Banded Shrimp

+1

I agree. I believe hermits in particular were instrumental in removing detritus and starving/dead gha from my tanks essentially assisting in it's elimination.