Hair algae gone wild

Discussion in 'Algae' started by chum, Apr 6, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

Oh for the snails, won't copper kill inverts such as snails? You might want to check that out. Who knows where that rock originated.

Now that I think about it, test for copper first. If it's + you will be tossing those rocks out anyway.

2. Click Here!

3. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

thanks for all the input. i just finished a manual removal on one of the rocks. i left it in the tank when i did it. what a pain in the arse that is. i will try the weekly water and vacuum for now. going to add more turbos and scarlet crabs also. i do not want to remove the lower rock because i have a pistol shrimp.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Copper also kills the beneficial bacteria and corals, so I doubt that's the issue. Higher nutrient content around the algae is a possible culprit, though.

5. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

the rock was listed as premium fiji from that fish place. i am going to add another mp10 and keep working at it.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

What water are you using? RODI?

And, even though Mr. Bill is right, I'd still test for copper. Turbos shouldn't die with that much food.

I wouldn't worry too much about the black out, chances are it will come right back. I'd do manual removal and get a better CUC in there, including an urchin or 2. Ak your LFS if they'll take them back once you're free and clear.

7. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

i was using just ro water until a month ago. i switched to rodi. i am going to do weekly changes with manual removel and beef up my cuc. i will look into the urchin method.thank you.

8. Click Here!

9. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

I added an abolone racer and I have zero algae. those things mow everything down. It ate every kind i had. its damn near 4 inches long now.

10. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

should i try a abolone or a urchin ? what kind of urchin would be best if i went this way ? sounds like ducksmasher has great luck with the abolone. awesome !

11. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I had good luck with algae fix marine. It will help, but not a cure-all. I did not have any corals affected, but I did lose my chaeto. I will try to find my previous thread.

12. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Here is the thread. Follow the directions to a tee.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/algae/algaefix-marine-68631.html