Giga Clam question

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Black_Raven, May 19, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I was wondering if any one has any experience with Giga Clams and how fast they grow. I came across a beautiful 4.5" specimen on the net and was wondering how long it would take to out grow my 75g tank. If it will take several years then I would be willing to purchase it and trade it to my LFS when it out grows my tank. But if it will out grow the tank in 3-4 yrs then its not worth it. Thanks,
    Larry

2. Click Here!

3. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I found the answer to my question. They are the fastest growing clams and can grow up to 1/2" per month or about 6" per year! I think I'll pass. Too bad, JustPhish.com has some beautiful specimens very reasonably priced.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Funny, I was going to have you check with JP as he has a Gigas clam in one of his tanks and has a couple for sale on his site!!!!
    They are pretty though!!! Try one of the smaller species!!!Crocea's get to 6-9 inches at tops!!!

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm not so sure that they grow that fast in an aquarium but they most certainly are fast growers. I got my gigas from JP about 1.5 years ago. It's gone from a 4" animal to a 6-7" animal and I anticipate that it will be too big for my 180 gallon in another few years.

Have a look see here for a few pics of JP's "Big Boi"

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/my-big-boi-37179.html?highlight=gigas

6. Krazy

Krazy Plankton

I've got a small gigas and I'll have to agree they are a pretty fast grower.

Its got some amazing growth over the past 3 months I've had it.

My deresa on the other hand, damn near doubled in size, it grew way faster then my gigas has.

I use 250 watt halides for what its worth.

7. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Just to chime in, the 6" is an over-estimate. Much more like =<4