My Big Boi

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by JustPhish, Aug 14, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

In the spirit of showing off some prized possessions...here's a couple of my gigas. They were taken at all different times, but you get the idea.

Perhaps today I will get motivated and take some updated pics.

To give you an idea of size, the tank is a 180. The tang is about 5 inches.
    [​IMG]

This pic is old. The clam is just a couple inches shy of touching the front glass.

[​IMG]

Colored a mustard yellow though it has gotten darker over the years but always kept it's electric blue spots.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That thing just gets bigger every time I see it. How long have you had it for now?

4. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

What do you feed that thing? Small childern. Dam.

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

That's Beautiful. One of these days I will study up on clams and try to keep a nice easy one. Again, I am impressed!!!! Nice clams.

Jim

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

re: gigas clam

WOW! Who needs a filter when you have that! :eek: 8)

Very impressive! What do you feed it?

7. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

I want it! lol ........... very nice. thanks for the pics

8. Click Here!

9. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Wow, that is something to look forward to with my clams.

Very nice!

10. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

LOL. Hmmm I think I have had it about 4 years now. When I first got it I had it for sale. I remember one gentleman wanted it, but refused to pay shipping. He thought I should ship it for free.

Needless to say I just kept it. A few months later I remember I was out on the shore fishing and I got a call from the same guy who now decided he would pay shipping. But, I refused to sell it. I figured since I tanked it for me I might as well keep it. Boy am I sure glad I did. Even my wife loves that thing. Luckily it survived a wipeout of 99% of my stuff last year when I went away and had a friend who was supposed to be watching my tank. My wife told me then if it had died she would have cried. LOL, I was already crying at the loss of everything else.

I don't feed it anything. It's certainly large enough to get what it needs from the light above it. When I feed the tank it gets very irritated cause obviously everything will fit in it's inhalant.

I used to have a pair of neon gobies that used to swim in and out of it. Clam didn't seem to mind that much. However now, when something bugs it, it slams closed and throws around a half gallon of water out of the tank and right on the carpet in front of it. Very annoying.

Where it sits now, though you can't see it until I take better pics, was a very large and thick piece of live rock I made myself. Nice and flat and made an awesome overhang. Eventually the clam got so heavy it ended up snapping that piece of rock causing a partial collapse. It's been there just fine ever since though.

11. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Besides being enormous, it is very cool. That thing must be worth a fortune now, eh? ;)

12. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

those are awesome looking clams- I've never seen any that big- and what nice colors- very cool