GHA how long does it last!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Puffer Chick, Oct 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

don't have a phosphate test yet, still have to get one along with a few other things, i just have to get the money :D

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I would definitely test phosphates before nuking anything... just making sure I don't confuse you. phosphate test first. If that comes back zero I'd point the finger squarely on the uncured LR.

If it comes back low - I'd still blame the uncured LR but would recommend phosban or some other phosphate removal system.

If it comes back high - (since you're using RO/DI) - I would try some phosphate removal system and start planning on nuking the rock thinking it's the primary source.

(if other readers are wondering how I got to uncured LR - that's a different thread of OP).

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Ways to lower nitrates, phosphates...
    Refugium with macroalgae.
    Algae turf scrubber.
    Water changes.
    Vodka(carbon) dosing.
    Chemical absorbers like Purigen.
    Nitrate coils.
    GFO reactors for PO4

Other things you can do:
    A sea hare will mow down algae probably more than any other creature.
    Reduce lighting schedule .. maybe even turn them completely off for a while depending on your corals.
    Check bulbs... old bulbs lose their spectrum and favor algae as they get older.
    Manually scrub.
    Reduce feeding.
    No flake food it's loaded with Phosphates.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

If you have algae you have phosphates that are too high. It doesn't matter if the test shows 0. The cheaper test kits only test high range phosphates.
    Most likely at this point it is also locked in the rocks and will leach out as the GFO does it's thing.

6. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

thanks all for the help. I'll look up everything you guys mentioned :D

7. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Puffer Chick, FWIW, Read this thread. It is not for everyone, but it did save me from a complete nuke. Pics included before and after. I tried everything, and spent alot of money. This actually did work. But I think it was a combonation of this, Phosban, Algaefix, Using Sonic Scrubber to scrub off rocks, and sucking up excess water fron frozen foods. My tank is absolutely algae free now. I am glad I did not tear it down. And you must be patient. Mine took 3 mo.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/algae/algaefix-marine-68631.html

8. Click Here!

9. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

awesome, i'll read the thread :D

10. mocarski

mocarski Bristle Worm

Cuc is good but be careful. It's easy to get into a cycle of adding cuc they die and fuel algae growth and then you are adding more cuc

Cuc recycles ha fertilizer and the real solution is to get it out or the system.

Algaefix works but for some reason I lost most of my cuc when I was using it. It seems to be more of one step in a bigger program to deal with ha cause most of the nutrients remain in the system.
    Ha isn't as bad as cyano and as long as it's not intruding on corals tends to be more of an eyesore than a real issue. I used to let mine get very long and then prune it back. That's as good as growing and pruning in a fuge if you don't mind how it looks.

Feeding is one of the major causes of ha. What are you feeding and how often?

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

gha is very much an eye sore. As far as feeding goes I feed a very very small amount of frozen brine and mysis shrimp every other day. But if I need to I'll start to slowly cut back on feeding

12. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

I just decided to refer to the GHA in my old tank as Luxuriant. If i hadn't had an anemonae, I'm sur that my clowns would have hosted in it.