First time sump/refugium build.

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by quinstar, Feb 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

Hey y'all. I haven't been on the forums in a long time, but I'm getting ready to purchase everything needed to do my first sump/refugium and you've all been extremely knowledgeable in the past. I was wondering if you could give me any input on my thinking.

I'm replacing my current wet/dry canister filter cause I think it's basically useless. Well, at least the skimmer is. The tank is still a 46 gallon bowfront. I'm planning on doing a 20 gal sump as pictured below. It's pretty rough but I think you get the basic idea. The skimmer is on the left, the refuge on the right, and the return pump will sit in the middle. I'm thinking 1.5" in between the baffles and teeth at the top of the refugium baffle. Not 100% sure on compartment sizes yet as I want to have my skimmer and return pump first.

[​IMG]

For a skimmer I'm planning on purchasing a Reef Octo 4" Pinwheel, using an overflow box so I don't have to drill into my tank and am still unsure about what pump to purchase.

What do y'all think? Am I on track? I've been reading a ton about them, but it can all get a little confusing so I thought I'd ask for some input.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Looks like a great plan. That is how I had my sump/fuge setup on my last system.

4. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

those work like the way you have it drawn. the only problem is the return section needs to be large enough that it can stay full while water is cyling around the tank.

5. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

Two things...

1. Have the return section as large as you can, that is where the water you loose from evaporation most noticable and you do not want the return pump drawing air.
    2. You may want to have a valve on the horizontal line from the DT so you can control the flow through the fuge. You don't want the flow going too fast through the macro or it won't work the way it needs too.

6. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

Thanks for the input. I was planning on putting a ball valve where suggested, but forgot to mention that.

Sounds like the refugium should be smaller and the return compartment larger. Is there any reason that I would need to make the skimmer compartment larger that the footprint of the skimmer?

7. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Maybe. You might want/need to incorporate some reactor(s) later on, and this would be where you would want them placed.

8. Click Here!

9. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

take a look at this thread, it may help - sump help

:joker:

10. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

Thanks Telgar. Hadn't seen that thread yet. Any thoughts on the skimmer? Is there a different one around the $200 mark that might be better for my tank?

11. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

This is exactly how I built my sump, and it works great. I used a 20 gallon long, skimmer section is ~10", return ~8" and fuge ~8"(rest is taken up by bubble traps). If I was to do it again I would make return section a little bigger (top off less often, even though I can go two days or more on my 65 with 20 sump.), but if you are doing an ATO you should be fine.

12. quinstar

quinstar Fire Worm

Thanks for the measurements! That's extremely helpful. I wasn't planning on an ATO, but it might not be a bad idea.