Help Fuge Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by bsutton, Aug 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bsutton

bsutton Feather Duster

Ok, I'm attempting to build a fuge out of a 29 gallon tall I have sitting around. This will be for my upcoming 90 gallon reef. I have read so much on these and have come up with this rough sketch. I'm not sure the exact dims on the baffles as well as the spacing. My tank is 30L x 17 1/2H x12W. I read some do acrylic and some do glass for the baffles. I think I would prefer glass. If I do should I have the edges rounded off? Some people have the fuge in the middle and some on the side. I'm not very handy and was thinking about purchasing one untill I saw the prices.:eek: I have a marineland series 100 skimmer with about a 6x4 footprint. I like the idea of the intake flowing over some rock. As far as th fuge I'm thinking about 5"-6" bed with a little more rock and chaeto. Any suggestions and help will get some karma. Thanks in advance.

Brian

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

the extra baffles between the fuge and the return should not be needed but wont hurt anything either, just cost a little extra money and some effort putting them in.

1 person likes this.
  4. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

I wouldn't have the baffles too high, as you will need the room for when you have a power outage and the main tank siphons back into the sump. Just make sure to leave enough height for that.

I've never rounded the edges off, but I prefer acrylic not glass. Just seems easier to me than having to worry about cracking it.

1 person likes this.
  5. bsutton

bsutton Feather Duster

So just a divider with the fuge flowing over and into the return?

Brian

6. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

yes, here are a few pics of mine.

ignore the chateo in the return section, I was waiting to add the last 2 inches of the DSB that was delivered the next day.

[​IMG]

I cut 5 or 6 teeth so the draining water skims the crud off the top of the water. As long as the flow is slow enough it is completely silent and makes no bubbles.

[​IMG]

7. bsutton

bsutton Feather Duster

Cool thanks Telgar. So when I have the baffle cut (from the fuge to the return) should I have them precut some teeth across it and add some eggcrate? Is that 2nd pic going from fuge to return?

By the way, what size is your fuge and what are the height of your baffles?

Brian

8. Click Here!

9. nctinter

nctinter Skunk Shrimp

I agree with Telgar, I had mine just like your drawing and ended up taking out the extra baffles for the fuge. I just have one baffle that goes almost all the way to the top of my sump with teeth cut into it. With the slow amount of flow you will have running through the fuge it will not splash down and cause noise or bubbles in the return. You may still get some bubbles from the skimmer section and drain even if you put rock rubble in there. Mine did and I ended up just using a filter sock which I really like.

10. bsutton

bsutton Feather Duster

So do you suggest I use a filter sock? I definately dont want bubbles.

Brian

11. nctinter

nctinter Skunk Shrimp

Run it without and see how the bubbles are. I tried a few thing with mine and just couldn't get rid of the bubbles/ I think mine is more of a plumbing problem. Too many hard lines and turns. When I do my new tank I am going to go with a Herbie setup using flex pvc. The thing I like about the sock is I don't hear much noise, absolutely no bubbles and it polishes the water. Only downfall is they get dirty pretty fast. I have 4 and rotate them probably once a week

1 person likes this.
  12. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

my sump is a 40 breeder and the baffles for the bubble trap are 11"/ 12" /10" and the 12" baffle is 1.5" off the bottom. The fuge wall is 12" tall and the fuge is 11" wide.

the egg crate is just sitting against the wall to keep the chateo from clogging the teeth as the small current pulls at it.