First Reef Tank - 16 Gallon Bow Front - Updated as August 17th

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by sticksmith23, Jun 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Updated Pics!

Here are some new pics of my tank/corals.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Here are a few more.

Attached Files:

4. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Nice pictures and awesome coral!

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Thank you. I'm soo excited because there is a lot of new growth in my tank as well. The corals look so better compared to a month ago today when I got them! 8)

I know I keep on posting this pic, but it by far my favorite. I think that I love the mushroom corals, lol. My wife edited this pic for me, and it looks a lot better IMO.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Phosphates to high! Help

Ok, so I'm still having a problem with my GSP wanting to extend since about July 17th(this is the thread for that http://www.3reef.com/forums/coral/gsp-help-116480.html). It is about 50% better since then. I just got a phosphate test kit the other day and tested all my prams tonight. This is what I got:

SG: 1.025
    PH: 8.4
    ALK: around 2.1 ppm
    Nitrate: 0 ppm
    Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitite: 0 ppm
    Phosphate: 8 ppm

I realize my phosphates are really high. I started using Fluval® Clearmax Phosphate Remover (3.52-oz bag) (this is the thread for that http://www.3reef.com/forums/water-chemistry/clearmax-phosphate-remover-116222.html) in my AquaClear 50 HOB filter on 7-14-2011.My algae isn't stringy like it was, but it looks like I have cyano growing all over my LR and zoos.

At the same time I started using AquaClear BioMax. My Nitrates were a little high when I started using this product, but now they are zero, ;D.

I have been following Steve Wright' thread about carbon dosing (http://www.3reef.com/forums/water-chemistry/carbon-dosing-method-testing-started-107232.html), and I realize that bio pellets look like something that I really need to invest in. At this time I just can't afford to do that right now, which is why I went with the ClearMax.

My question is, what can I do to reduce my phosphate levels in the meantime until I can afford to get what I need?

7. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I will post some new pics of what I am talking about when my tank clears up. I just did some rearranging of the rocks, lol.

Would it be alright to put Chaeto w/Pods (from reefcleaners off course) directly in the DT?

And I don't have a CuC right now either, so I was thinking of getting this package (Quick Crew 40 Breeder) because I will be setting up my 40 breeder here within the week. ;D

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

If you are still feeding with frozen food, rinse in RO/DI water after thawing. The processing fluids and preservatives are high in phosphates.

Yes, the chaeto can be placed into the DT; just don't add any herbivorous fish. :)

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I don't feed frozen food, only dry. There is only a couple of flakes left when the damsels are done eating.

11. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

Kind of unrelated, but I thought I'd let you know. Every time I see you avatar I'm so jealous. I love that red mushroom. ;) I want a few of my own. I have a green and a blue spotted (some call it a Superman shroom I think). I've seen pics of a neon orange one that is AWESOME too.

1 person likes this.
  12. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I'm glad you like them. They are my favorite by far, lol. ;D I want to get some more shrooms one day. They are doing even better now. I will try to get some pics of them later on and post them.