Don't act like your flakes don't stink...

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Ashevillian, Mar 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Brine in general is crap unless it's soaked in something. It lacks nutritional awesomeness.

2. Click Here!

3. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

its very difficult to find live food sources in my neck of the woods. i think i found something at a LFS for maybe $25+ for a small bottle but my pocket wasn't large enough to even take further looking at the time :/

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

FTR, that's an old myth from back in the day before the dietary needs of many fish were known. Like us, most need more than one source of nutrition. However, there are a few that can thrive on brine alone, so it's really not the brine that's lacking. :)

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

See if you can order Rods Fish Food, thats all I feed my tank. In fact I never knew we could feed our fish dry flakes. I feed my Betta pellets but thats a Betta not a reef tank.

6. Ashevillian

Have you ever fed Brine?

Personally I don't consider it crap because the reactions I get from my fish when I feed them brine is ridiculous. They all go into Lord of the Flies mode and go into a berserk feeding frenzy. I don't see this behavior over any of my other foods, even the "good" kinds

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Rods food is a great choice. They don't use any fillers, just chopped seafood that's been flash frozen and, as such, it retains almost all of it's nutritional profile.

I feed about a .5" x .5" square a day of rods veggie blend. I mix it with tank water immediately when I get home from work. I then add it slowly in smaller amounts throughout the night and dump the rest before bed. Spreads out the food over a 4-8 hour time period (depending how much attention I pay and what time I get off work)

I also have an auto feeder that feeds pellets 4 times a day (earlier in the day) so they have some food on a continuous basis.

IMHO, we feed all wrong. In the wild fish eat continuously on foods with a lower nutritional value that we give. We feed all at once super nutritious foods. IMO the key is to provide as close to a continuous, broad base of food as possible. Feed small amounts more often and keep it diverse.

Great article: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-02/rs/feature/index.php

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

10. sharoleb

sharoleb Bristle Worm

For pellet food, try Elos from BRS. I noticed my phosphates went way down when I switched to that from NewLife Spectrum.

Variety is the way to go, lots of good options above.

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Conclusions from article: Feeding The Reef Aquarium, A New Paradigm - by Ronald L. Shimek - Reefkeeping.com

12. Ashevillian