Feeding survey, what do you feed?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Thatgrimguy, Aug 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Every person in this hobby, whether new or old to the hobby; keeping a reef or fish only, you have to answer the questions about feeding. Let's make this a place to share our feeding habits and logic behind what, when, how, and how much.
    (try to keep the format and add your answers)

1.)When do you feed your tank?

2.)What do you feed your tank (brand name if you know it?)

3.)How much do you feed your tank at each feeding?

4.)How do you prepare what you are feeding?

5.)How do you feed (feed tube, throw it on top, etc?)?

6.)What is the primary reason you feed in the way you do? (less feeding for nitrate control, a certain food for a certain coral, or feeding more for a certain fish species, etc)

7.)Anything special you have learned about feeding or a food recipe you use.

8.)Basic Tank information: Tank size in gallons and heavy, medium, or light fish population?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

1.)When do you feed your tank? Every Morning and afternoon, coral on sunday

2.)What do you feed your tank (including brand name if you know it?)I alternate between H20Life 50/50 and Mysis w/ spirulina. I feed Oyster feast to the corals. And a half sheet of nori everyday (changes every time I buy a new pack)

3.)How much do you feed your tank at each feeding? 1 Cube and half sheet of nori in the A.M. Coral foods I haven't figured out the right mix yet.

4.)How do you prepare what you are feeding? I defrost the cubes in RO/DI water then pour the meat through one of my nets.

5.)How do you feed (feed tube, throw it on top, etc?)? I pass the the net through the water! The nori is on a simple suction clip. Coral foods with a turkey baster watered down with tank water.

6.)What is the primary reason you feed in the way you do? (less feeding for nitrate control, a certain food for a certain coral, or feeding more for a certain fish species, etc) I feed like I do because it's as much as I feel comfortable feeding till my new filtration gets here. And I think it's as much as my fish need, they eat every bit in 2min!

7.)Anything special you have learned about feeding or a food recipe you use. I still have a lot to learn on the food front!

8.)Basic Tank information: Tank size in gallons and heavy, medium, or light fish population? 210gallon with a medium bioload. When I add my 3 flasher wrasse I will add a pellet auto feeder to drop a small amount twice a day as well.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  4. destinationluna

destinationluna Skunk Shrimp

Srry for the bad format will fix when I get home smart phone not so smart!

1.)When do you feed your tank? This depends on what fish every other day to every day with some foods

2.)What do you feed your tank (including brand name?)
    I feed Rods Food every other day with mashed shrimp and garlic goodness for my gobies. Nori is always on the clip when i dont have algae issues my tangs tent to go past any algae on the tank or rock if they can just pick it off the clip.

3.)How much do you feed your tank at each feeding? 1/2 oz of rods food and 1-2 pieces of shrimp depending on the size but only feed them what they will eat and they eat out of my hand. Like to do this so that they know my hand is a good thing rather than a bad guy. I think this reduces stress!

4.)How do you prepare what you are feeding? Rinse melt in ro water strain in brine net

5.)How do you feed (feed tube, throw it on top, etc?)? The fish I feed with my hands. Corals turkey Baster or Syringe.

6.)What is the primary reason you feed in the way you do? (less feeding for nitrate control, a certain food for a certain coral, or feeding more for a certain fish species, etc) Mostly nitrate and phosphate control

7.)Anything special you have learned about feeding or a food recipe you use. With rods it says to feed frozen do not thaw cuz of the little particles that are in it

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  5. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

1.)When do you feed your tank? In the evening usually, sometimes morning. All depends on my schedule.

2.)What do you feed your tank (including brand name?) Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 flake and pellets. San Francisco Bay mysis and brine (mostly for my LPS)

3.)How much do you feed your tank at each feeding? Just a little pinchof food for the fish. I tend to use a whole frozen cube to feed my corals.

4.)How do you prepare what you are feeding? Frozen food I thaw in just a bit of tank water, then drain and add more tank water.

5.)How do you feed (feed tube, throw it on top, etc?)? I just pinch and toss the flakes and pellets, I feed the corals with a turkey baster. I need a somthing with a smaller hole as bits fall out too much.

6.)What is the primary reason you feed in the way you do? (less feeding for nitrate control, a certain food for a certain coral, or feeding more for a certain fish species, etc) I feed too much....I just love fedding my LPS...

7.)Anything special you have learned about feeding or a food recipe you use. Nothing special so far, but I'm still new to the hobby.

8. 40 breeder 2 oc's and a royal gramma

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Come on, we all feed. No right or wrong. What do you do?

The more that fill it out, the better the resource.. I may add in tank size.
    Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I feed my fish on a daily basis and these days also add foods and food based supplements for my corals each day

Japanese brand name , Mysis, Brine shrimp, Bloodworm occasionally (Wrasse seem to appreciate these IME) for fish
    cyclopeze, reef bugs, plankton M and S, Zooton, Ammino's, Vit C and Coral Accel and Chromoplex - about 5 mils of the liquid supplements or a pinch soaked in tank water of the powdered products

half cube of frozen, for the fish

I allow the frozen cubes to thaw in a 30 mil measuring cup
    pour of the liquid, add some tank water and then gently pour into tank

mainly broadcast feed for fish, also broadcast feed Cyclopeze, Reef Bugs and Zooton
    with the photoplankton S and M, Aminos, and other coral type liquid supplements, I like to add using a pipette just a few inches away from targeted corals

6.)What is the primary reason you feed in the way you do? (less feeding for nitrate control, a certain food for a certain coral, or feeding more for a certain fish species, etc)

Nutrition, trying to ensure everything gets what I "feel" it needs
    as long as my nutrients remain in control then I don't experience any of the problems related to over feeding

8. Click Here!

9. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

A. MOST of the time when I get home from work if not then, first thing in the morning before work,

San Fran Bay Mysis Shrimp and Saltwater Mulit pack Mix food
    Omega 1 Flake w/ Garlic and Omega 1 Super Color Pellets
    Omega 1 Seaweed

A. a pinch or a 1/4 of a cube of the frozen food.

A. Place frozen food in a cup of aquarium water let it dissolve then use a turkey baster to place food in tank. Pellets and flakes are done by hand near the corner of the tank were the water movement will spread the food around.

A. see previous answer

A. I like to make sure I see my fish eat, if I cant see them eat then I dont know if they are eating or not.

7.)Anything special you have learned about feeding or a food recipe you use.
    Feed less and more often is better than a lot at one time.
    Feed either 1x a day or every other day.

125 gallons, light Population atm.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I added one question... I have already learned from this!! I think tank feeding is one of the hardest things to get a grasp of. This could prove to be a really great resource!!

8.)Basic Tank information: Tank size in gallons and heavy, medium, or light fish population?

11. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

giving you a bump Grim :)

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I'm really surprised more people aren't willing to fill this out... :(

Sent using tapatalk! Grammar and spelling should be forgiven!