Dendro Owners

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Triplemom, Aug 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sharoleb

sharoleb Bristle Worm

Mine is STILL closed. It will open partially for a short while. The first few months I got it it was open ALL day and ALL night. I've moved it twice now, this last time in a little cave. I don't think it's the lighting, the guy I bought it from used metal halides on his frag tank. My kh is at 8, so that's a little on the low side, but I don't think it's enough to worry about. I still haven't gotten that stupid shrimp out either. The colors are still very vibrant on it, so I don't think it's dying. I can't imagine I over fed it to the point where it's not hungry for a MONTH? I'm baffled. Everything else in the tank is great.

2. Click Here!

3. Reefnjunkie

Reefnjunkie Feather Duster

I am running 15K bulbs now compared to the 20K I used to. It used to be open nearly the entire day during the MH period-
    Params are testing perfect but I really sense there is something that is causing it not to be open as much-trace element??

For sure the light is brighter with the 15K but mine is a SPS dominent tank so it will need to adapt-
    Oh Well ;D

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  5. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Finally I get to join this little club. After reading through this thread I just had to get either some duncans or dendros. Well, I finally got my wish and got some duncans. How big on average do their heads get? Here's a pic of mine, just came in today.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

My dKh stay 7- 8 and it's open most of the day.. It's a mystery.:-/

7. sharoleb

sharoleb Bristle Worm

Wow, look at that color! Beautiful!!!!!! Mine is green in the center w/ blue running through it, w/ pinkish coralites. Yours is a very nice piece.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. sharoleb

sharoleb Bristle Worm

Update:

The skunk cleaner shrimp was officially evicted Sunday night. I himmend and hawwed for quite some time, trying to decide if he was the culprit. I really liked to watch him, and they're supposed to be reef safe, so I thought I was over reacting. Finally I made a decision to see what would happen.

Well, this morning when I got up one of the dendro babies was fully open, and the rest were poking out more than they have since the middle of October. Fingers crossed, I think the shrimp may have been the cause! We'll see what happens when I get home tonight. (HOPING HOPING HOPING)

If it's open even just a bit, I'll try to squirt him w/ some Rod's food. It's GOT to be hungry after 1 1/2 months being closed? But then again I was concerned last time I over fed it.....

10. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Thanks, I turned the background b&w just to make the colors of the duncan pop a little more but I didn't do any alterations to their colors so what you see is how they are.

11. Reefnjunkie

What are your KH levels

Just curious for those following or passing through, if you own Dendros, not Duncans, what are your KH levels.
    I have had my KH higher lately (over the past 3-4 weeks) which I have decided to bring back down, but it had been 12-13. I am hoping that IS the problem as mine have been shut tight for weeks.
    anyway my KH is 10.8 now and slowly I am shooting for a solid 10.
    All the other params are great?????????????

Very odd, I know things need to change, I have not fed it in weeks.
    Open:) or die:( I guess:confused:

Got to love all the litlle WTF is going on here-LOL. We use "frick" in my house What the Frick=WTF, or what ever floats your reef

12. Reefnjunkie

My Duncans head are about the size of a quarter, a little less. Yours looks like the type of Duncans that will branch, mine is not. Mine is like a small grapefruit with about 15 main heads and each head having 6-8 smaller heads around it.
    Nice looking coral-they are neat.
    here is mine back in Jan. I think;
    [​IMG]
    and here it is about 2 months ago;
    [​IMG]
    The more you feed it the faster it grows!!