Resolved Condy Nem - About to die?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by bje, Jan 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

I just took a look at my tank with a flashlight in the dark and noticed my nem all deflated with red film coming out from its mouth region.... is this what i think it is? its dying and its secreting what will soon become a toxin to the rest of the inhabitants?

im taking pics now...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

screw the pics, im not chancing it. i siphoned out the crap that was coming out of its mouth. it didnt look"NORMAL" nor good....

i knew it'd be a delicate situation having this thing in a tank thats at the end of its first nitrogen cycle. i had no other choice, if it is dying i will take it to the pet store tomorrow to see if they can put it in a established QT tank.

4. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

two before pics and one after pic...

Attached Files:

5. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

i was about to goto bed.... im going to watch this thing for another 20 minutes and make sure it stops excreting things. i just checked tank params and the no2 levels are at 0, no3 at 5/ppm (so i removed the filter sock in case its a problem which needed to be cleaned tomorrow anyways... wednesday is weekly maintenance day). ammonia is 0, ph is stable, temp is 80, primary lighting hasnt been running, moonlighting is on. alk is at 9dkh. dont have the ability to test phosphates right now (i know, a bad thing to not have a test kit on hand for)

6. DiscreteAudio

DiscreteAudio Astrea Snail

I dont have THAT anem, but I have seen similar happen with some corals. May not be a good thing. Sorry I cant help, consider this a bump. I would jump on google and start researching until someone more knowledgeable comes by.

7. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Your anemone is more than likely fine – I suspect you caught him going potty. His mouth is also his anus and he was probably doing a water change – his way of expelling waste.

8. Click Here!

9. DiscreteAudio

DiscreteAudio Astrea Snail

Some more info : http://www.3reef.com/forums/coral-health/anemone-dying-34727.html

10. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

well if its waste, it smells f'n horrible when pulled out of the tank. i got affraid it was that red disease stuff ive seen corals emit from pictures.

anyhow after i siphoned that out of its mouth it started to open back up. its open again today. i just turned on the actnic to see how things are and everything looks fine.

retested water conditions and the params are still in check. no more 'waste' around the tank. i siphoned up all of the crap it spewed.

thanks for the help

11. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

thanks for that! thats exactly whats going on. i put a clown fish in my tank yesterday and its been going to the nem constantly. i usually fed the nem every two days. im going to back that off to a week and see if it continues to expunge copious amounts of filmy muck....

when i fed the clown it was taking its food back over by the nem. so it prolly over-ate yesterday

12. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

He pooped and you wiped and its a done deal. He seem's fine.

1 person likes this.