Blue tang might have ich help

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by kewalthe, Feb 16, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Pictures of the tang would really help us out. As far as a cleaner wrasse, I say no. They either should be left in the ocean, or in a very large system with "tons" of fish.

Here is a great thread on exactly what you are asking:

http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/do-cleaner-wrasse-eat-ich-99867.html

Here is an excerpt:

(3) Cleaner Wrasse (Labroides Dimdiatus) and Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata Amboinensis) eat Ich- WRONG. Wrasses and shrimp eat necrotic tissue, damage scales, and scabs. It has been well documented that the symbiotic “cleaning stations” in the reefs by wrasses and shrimps are there to help heal wounds from carnivore attacks, territorial fights, and other skin/scale injuries. It is possible that these cleaners might knock the parasite off the fish while doing this, but do nothing to control the reproduction and life cycle of Ich in your aquarium.

And finally, I would never add a fish into a system where one or more fish was infected with a disease. This will either stress out the infected fish further and/or get the new fish infected (which is probably likely due to the stress of acclimating to a new tank and environment).

Just another case of a LFS either not being educated or trying to make a sale (or some combo of the two).

2. Click Here!

3. kewalthe

kewalthe Astrea Snail

Thanks yeah I thought it sounds odd. Im going to try and get a pic later tonight so far none of the other fish show signs of it. But most likly they would have it.

4. kewalthe

kewalthe Astrea Snail

This it the pic of my blue tang hopfully it helps def looks like ich today.

Attached Files:

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Oh that's Ich, alright.

I've sit back and went the nutritional route and won sometimes, and lost with others. Other times I have intervened..... and have lost some and saved some. If he dies regardless of what you do, it doesn't mean you picked the wrong route.

Have you ever handled a hypo tank before? Do you have a refractometer? Have to ever used copper? Cryto Pro? Ever had to deal with an uncycled tank?

6. kewalthe

kewalthe Astrea Snail

I have not dealt with any copper with my tanks. And no this is my first blue tang so this is all kinda new to me still. Before I was running a 14 gallon biocube and upgraded to this 75 g. So far im trying the route of food additives.

7. Renee@LionfishLair

So, no one else has it, he's still eating and not breathing hard, correct?

8. Click Here!

9. kewalthe

kewalthe Astrea Snail

Correct none of the other fish have it. And hes still swimming around and eating when I fed them food . But he seems to be hovering starring at the glass more today

10. Renee@LionfishLair

11. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

do some good research on cleaner wrasse, youll see they are NOT recommended. i own one but they are very hard to keep. my 2 cents...they are extremely susceptible to stress. when i brought mine home from the 15 min car ride that separates my house from the LFS and placed the fish in the bucket for drip acclimation it was already on side not moving, i thought it was goner before i even got the chance to place in the DT. thank God it made a quick recovery after that.

mine does eat the prepaired food i make but this will not complete its diet. it needs parasites and dead cells to keep it health.

if you plan in getting a "cleaner" animal and you dont have invert predators i would strongly recommend you opt for the Lysmata amboinensis otherwise known as skunk shrimp.

they are really cool and will readily clean your hand as well, mind you my cleaner wrasse always pecks at this little birth mark i have on my arm when im working in the tank...he cant seem to understand he will never be able to get it off me....

anyway, cleaner wrasse and skunk shrimp will not solve your ich issue, they will only clean the fish of the ich cyst or eggs if you will.

if you do plan to get a cleaner wrasse (and again i strongly recommend you dont) then you will have to accept to have ich in your tank to maximize its long term health.

iv had mine for about 8 months now. he is very active but im still not sure if he is doing really well, though he has grown....

12. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

and from the pic i would clearly say that is ich and a pretty bad case of it