Do Cleaner Wrasse eat ich?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by shazane, Dec 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shazane

shazane Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Do Cleaner Wrasse eat ich off fish? I got a cleaner wrasse about two weeks ago and it is doing great. Almost all the fish are now getting comfortable with him. Let the debate begin.

2. Click Here!

3. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

no they do not, and they too will get it if you have it in your tank. please read what sw ick is and why it exists- there is a ton of information out there. a true case of- "never judge a book by it's cover", what you don't see may just fool you later on.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

+1, they can't eat it because it's literally not on the outside of the fish (like most other parasites), it burrows into them. What you see is the cyst that forms where they burrowed, the parasite itself is actually underneath that cyst.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

they may eat Cryptocaryon and probably do in a tank environment but not enough to make a difference. generally they eat other types of parasites like types of copepods.

keep in mind if the infection gets bad enough even a damsel fish will eat ich off other fish(while taking chucks out of them). but by then all your fish will probably be close to dying.

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Source: MARINE ECOLOGY PROGRESS SERIES, Vol 197, pages 241-246
    http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/197/m197p241.pdf

There was no ich found in their stomachs so I would have to say the answer is no.

7. shazane

shazane Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Great info everyone thank you this confirms everything I thought. I had a little debate with a worker at my local fish store about this. She then brought two more of her co workers to "prove me wrong" Haha

8. Click Here!

9. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

cleaner wrasse are also not a sustainable fish in many aquariums.

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

^ +1

Better left in the ocean.

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

From an article by Joe Jaworski;

(3) Cleaner Wrasse (Labroides Dimdiatus) and Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata Amboinensis) eat Ich- WRONG. Wrasses and shrimp eat necrotic tissue, damage scales, and scabs. It has been well documented that the symbiotic “cleaning stations” in the reefs by wrasses and shrimps are there to help heal wounds from carnivore attacks, territorial fights, and other skin/scale injuries. It is possible that these cleaners might knock the parasite off the fish while doing this, but do nothing to control the reproduction and life cycle of Ich in your aquarium.

The Marine Ich Epidemic « Joe Jaworski’s Weblog

12. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

As stated above...from what I've read cleaner wrasses don't last long in captivity...a cleaner(neon) goby is a better choice...but just for external stuff as stated above.