Attaching GSP to glass.

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Nealio, Mar 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

sure nuff. :)

i got too much coralline... that helps. in actuality, I glued 4 separate pieces to my back glass. 1 came off and dissolved to nothing. The other 3 are growing like mad.

anyway, once you have some coralline (or even the micro feather dusters) the trick is to make sure not to move or twist the piece. As soon as you put it in the water, the glue hardens over. Once you apply it to the back glass, that glue seal breaks and hardens over again. It's at this point you don't want to twist it or anything.

I hold it against the glass, frozen like a statue, for 30 seconds.

Last, make sure there's no flow blasting it for a day. Give it some time to attach before it becomes under stress (by stress, I just mean the flow).

BTW - the 1 piece of mine that came off, came off after 2 days... those things happen. I was terrified it was going to end up in some ungodly place up in my rock and then I'd be terrorized by gsp in my rock again. so be careful ;)

good luck!

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I had a "super" difficult time trying to glue a frag to the back of my tank. I ended up with a huge glob on my finger that I had to file off with a metal file. It also burned the crap out of me. I still have the glue on my fingernails.

4. slowleak

slowleak Feather Duster

Its been mentioned over and over. glass is not porous enough for the glue to stick, and if you have any type of algea growth or any type of film on the glass it's even worse. The superglue might work for a few days or long enough for the mat to attach itself, but if the mat doesnt attach it will just fall off again.

5. Nealio

Nealio Coral Banded Shrimp

Do you think it would stick if I pinched it between a Mag-Float for a week?

6. veedubshafer

veedubshafer Banned

Yup.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

oddly enough, I think it would too... i also think you run a reasonable "risk" of pulling it off the glass when you move the mag-float...

8. Click Here!

9. Nealio

I figure it's worth a shot, I'll try to flip the mag upside down so that the smooth outer side is against the polyps instead of the scrubby side.

10. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I have done it with 3 of my tanks... I scrape the back glass clean, and then add a small dab of glue (superglue gel) to the back of the gsp frag after I dab it dry with paper towel.. then stick it on the glass and hold it for about 30 seconds... Has always worked for me....

11. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I think I'm going to give this a try tomorrow. The suction cup sounds like a good Idea though.
    The mag float also seems doable.
    What about just leaning the mother colony up against the glass?

12. Nealio

I don't have a mother colony, all my GSP are large frags. I have 1 piece currently held by a magfloat, and 1 piece that is folded, half on the glass, half on the sand. I still want to make sure it stays, so I haven't pulled the mag float off yet.