3reef Community Bio Pellet Review

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Vinnyboombatz, Nov 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. mails2thiagu

mails2thiagu Feather Duster

Thanks Vinny ! actually cloudiness lasted for more than 3 days and all my corals closed. also sudden algae growth also occurred. so I have stopped Microbacter7 and removed half of BP. within few hours, tank cleared and all my corals opened after two days.

Found below link useful to remove cloudiness

NP Reducing BioPellets a D. van Houten (Import) product - Important

now I have added some more BP and no cloudiness so far.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Yeah just like anything else it is best to go slow and move cautiously when changing the bacteria level and nutrient level in the tank. I actually only used half the recommended ammount of the Bio Pearls to start then added more very slowly over time. I am still not at the recommended ammount but I feel its better to be safe then sorry. Good luck and let us know how everything is doing.;)

5. mails2thiagu

Nitrates are at 80ppm before adding BP and after 2 weeks still at 80. my phosphates are less than 0.25 so no worries with it. but what I noticed in past 5 days, corals more bright and opening bigger than before. not sure if its due to BP or adding seachem reef plus, either way I am happy :)

6. Vinnyboombatz

Ew well actually that is not good. Since the bacteria need the presence of both Nitrates and Phosphates in order to work you may need to find another way to get those Nitrates down to a reasonable level. Once the bacteria has irradicated the small ammount of Phosphate they will no longer remove the Nitrate.:cry:

7. mails2thiagu

only way I can think of being do 50% water change. Is there any other easy way to bring down nitrates?

8. Click Here!

9. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

10. mails2thiagu

Vodka being long process same like using BP. I prefer BP over vodka dosing since it won't require everyday work and also very impressed with results from Steve's testing with BP/Vodka/GFO.

11. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

well yesterday 2/14/12 i removed the bio pellets after 2 days of fish breathing heavy some started to die, i believe the excess bacteria was eating up all the oxygen and made my tank oxygen deficient . i can't think of any other reason the fish started to have this issue. there were no signs of illness, i lost fish i had from the start up of my tank.
    i checked my ammonia 0, nitrites 0 and nitrates 5 ...ph and so on, i was also having an algae growth on sand issue, nothing on rocks. but the stuff on the sand started to have bubbles on it. not good!
    i was also dosing a probiotic bacteria. a brand i had not used before turned off my uv as stated to do on the label ( i will leave the brand nameless). i can't be sure what has caused this problem, but i feel chasing 0 nitrates is not worth losing fish over. i am back to running without bio pellets and will stay that way till i can figure out what happened and be sure it wasn't pellet related. i feel it was an issue of to much bacteria as i stated consuming up all the oxygen.

all inverts and corals seem to not be infected by what ever happened.
    my uv is on i did a water change and i am hoping i don't lose any more fish

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  12. Vinnyboombatz

Did you notice any cloudiness? Are you running a skimmer?