BRS Bio pellet Reactor Mod

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Vinnyboombatz, Feb 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I really like this reactor but have had to clean it a few times. Saw some other Mods but have found a quick and easy fix to this common problem.
    Supplies/tools needed:
    PVC mesh (used for needle point)
    Aquarium silicone
    Scissors
    Small flat screwdriver
    Side cutters

Use small screwdriver to remove the sections that form the screen.(this is much easier then it sounds)Just push the screwdriver in between the screen and gently rotate it back and forth. They break off fairly clean. Leave the outer and inner rings of the original strainer.
    [​IMG]
    Bottom
    [​IMG]

Trace the circle on the mesh and cut it out with scissors (make 2) This is probably the hardest part.Getting the top one trimmed is easier then the bottom one but go slow and cut a little at a time and you should have no problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Silicone the mesh to the top cover(I have super glue in the pic but it didn't hold.Silicone worked great!!)

[​IMG]

Then to the bottom.

[​IMG]

After siliconing the bottom I realised that removing the cross bracing would keep the pellets from getting trapped in between.

[​IMG]

Clip the cross braces with a side cutter.Then silicone the mesh to the bottom.Allow to dry then its ready to rock and roll!!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

easy peasy! thx! gonna order mine tomorrow!

1 person likes this.
  4. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Very nice!!!!

1 person likes this.
  5. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Is it a dual reactor?
    I want to upgrade from tlf reactor but they say you can't run pellets in a dual reactor!

6. Vinnyboombatz

No its a single reactor. But because my mod does not force you to run it in reverse this may work for you on your dual.;D

7. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

Simple plans well executed always work better. How long have you been running it like this Vinny? Nice mod!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

O shoot thanks Tom for reminding me. I have not installed this new mod as of yet and will be doing so tomorrow. I will keep you all posted on the results but as far as I can tell it looks as if it will work great!!!;D I can't wait until I can just open this reactor for replacing pellets instead of having to clean that dumb screen every 10 days.;) I may even send this to BRS maybe they can include this type of mod to there reactor. I have only one concern about doing this. As the pellets get used up they will naturally get smaller so I hope over time they don't find there way through the mesh. I don't think they actually will go through the top and flow should keep them from coming out of the bottom.(even if some leak out of the bottom they will not be able to escape the reactor chamber) Time will tell.;)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  10. Vinnyboombatz

Installed this yesterday and so far so good. The pellets are tumbling very nicely with the CobaltMJ1200.;)

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

12. Vinnyboombatz

No problem Matt. I just want to warn anyone doing this Mod that I still am not sure what will happen when the pellets decrease in size. I am sure the reason BRS has made the screen so fine is to keep the pellets from escaping when they become smaller. If and when this becomes a problem I might have to do the other more complicated mod.(Which will eliminate the need for the inside container anyway.)I will keep everyone posted on any issues that may arise.Pics to follow.;)