ATS vs Fuge... or both?

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Jodah, Feb 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

So, I have been planning a build for a while now, and I am at a bit of an impasse. The plan is a 40B with as large a sump as I can fit. Most likely a 20L or I may do a DIY custom job.

Problem #1: I want a mandarin. I have heard this is too small a tank to keep one in, especially if not trained for pellet foods.

Problem #2: Can a horizontal style ats (algae scrubber) grow pods? Or would a DIY HOB fuge work better? Both would most likely waterfall back into the tank.

Problem #3: Say I wanted to use both an ats and a refugium. Would I then have the ats in the sump and the fuge hob style or vice versa?

I expect some flames coming at me simply for wanting to keep a mandarin in a 40B, but please understand that if it would be detrimental to the fish, I will not bother pursuing it anymore.

2. Click Here!

3. gfoot2000

gfoot2000 Flamingo Tongue

no ones gonna be mean if you mention constantly replenishing your pod population, but thats costly

4. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

Do a giant fuge, like 55 gal+. You should be able to keep enough LR and algae to keep a healthy mandarine. But remember, fuges need to eat too.

5. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

That's the thing, I'd prefer to get a pellet trained mandarin when the time comes. But... I'm more interested in natural ways of feeding the tank. Hence the fuge idea and ats for filtering.

I will not have the space for a 55g fuge. As much as I'd love to go big, I'm going to be limited to 40B max.

The basic plan is a 40B with about 60lbs of LR. Most of that will be a diy foam/rock wall. There will be a few islands as well.

If I can manage it, I would try to fit a 40B as my sump/fuge. With probably another 30-40lbs of LR, some cheato, the ats if not advisable to do a horizontal style, and the usual cheato. Maybe a mantis in the sump to get two obsessions with one setup.

6. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Its easy enough to have the best of both worlds. I am in the process of rebuilding mine, so dont have pics but I will try to explain. My sump (in progress one) will go like this: entrance & skimmer chamber ----> Return <----- fuge. The water will exit the tank via overflow like normal. Part way down there will be a inverted "T" which one side will go to the sump and the sump and the other side (flow controlled via valve) will feed water into the ATS. The water will flow out the ATS and in turn into the fuge section thru a baffle and likewise into the return section.

My current setup the water goes: overflow-->ATS---->skimmer(sump)---->fuge---->return. While it does work the only thing I dont like about it is that it reduces the flow alot going thru the ATS first.

You will want to ensure you do seperate lighting systems for both the ATS and the sump if your talking growing cheato or other pod producing macros.

I've been reading some good things now coming from building a ATS and using red (660's) LED's. I dont know if my budget will allow that at the moment though.

7. VeloceReef

VeloceReef Bristle Worm

I have a very healthy mandarin and a smaller fuge. About 9 gallons. I purchased some macro a while back and it was covered in pods. Now my fuge and my dt is as well. it's been about 6 months and they are still all over. Good luck

8. Click Here!

9. reef fish

reef fish Plankton

what does ats mean sorry

10. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

algae turf scrubber. :p AKA: a more natural way to filter your tank.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

It sure can. I have one essentially on my Neo Nano. Check it out.
    Before I scrape I see tons of pods in it.

12. Saltwatercoral2

Saltwatercoral2 Astrea Snail

I am also wondering this as well. Would it be ok to run both? or should it be one or the other?