Humbug Dascyllus FOTM Nov '07 II

Discussion in 'Fish of the Month' started by omard, Nov 13, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three-Stripe Damsel
    Humbug Dascyllus

(Dascyllus aruanus)

"While can be agressive and may not be suited for a peaceful community tank, mine are quite mild mannered and only chase each other, or play tag with the Coral Beauty. They peacefully co-exsist with other current tank inhabitants, but will be agressive to any new fish added. Mine were added as juveniles with most other tank mates which may contribute to reason they generally get along will the rest of fish. They generally hang out with a pair of yellow tail damsels in far upper right hand of tank. (I call it "Damsel Corner") - Other fish, with exception of Coral Beauty tend to avoid it."​

a.k.a.: White-tailed Damselfish

Habitat: Natural geographic location: Three-Stripe Damsel, Humbug Dascyllus, or White-tailed Damselfish are found all over the Indo-West Pacific from eastern Africa and the Red Sea to the central and western Pacific as far north as southern Japan and south to Tuamotu islands. Can be found at depths up to 12 meters. Associated with branching corals on inshore and lagoon reefs.
    Animal-World Species

Maintenance difficulty: The Three-Stripe Damsel, Humbug Dascyllus, or White-tailed Damselfish are generally among the easiest marine fish to keep.

Maintenance: This fish will readily eat all kinds of live, frozen, and flake foods and algae. Finely chopped meaty foods (like brine shrimp).Best to feed small amounts several times a day. In a reef situation they don't really need to be fed very often at all.

Foods: All kinds. See "maintenance" above.

Cost: Very inexpensive ($3 - $5)

Social Behaviors: Like all damselfish, they can be territorial and aggressive, especially as they get older.

Sex: Sexual differences: Not Known.

Light: Recommended light levels: No special requirements.

Breeding/Reproduction: Some of the damselfish have been bred in captivity. See general breeding techniques in the breeding Clownfish page.

Temperature: No special requirements.

Length/Diameter of fish: Three-Stripe Damsel, Humbug Dascyllus, or White-tailed Damselfish adults can grow to 6.5 cm.

Minimum Tank Length/Size: A minimum 10 gallon aquarium is recommended if this is the only fish to be kept in it.

Water Region: Top, Middle, Bottom - Swims at all levels of the aquarium.

Water Movement: No special requirements.​

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Sorry for your loss omard.....

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

What can you do? :-/

One lives and learns.

Unfortunately some lessons are expensive, both financially and emotionally. :confused:

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I second that. I bought a rose tipped bta when I was very very new... Didn't last long. Felt bad, probably should of known more first. Here's a pic of my tank with my brownish orange bta that I have now. It' so big that since the tanks in our bedroom, my wife says one night were gonna wake up and it will be tickling our feet. haha [​IMG]

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

HaHa, call that a big one? --- I have to think twice about putting arm in this side of the 125 gallon! :laughing0

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  7. Torch jockey

Torch jockey Astrea Snail

sorry about your cardinal. what happened?

8. Click Here!

9. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

Awesome article scott they are a cool damsel!!!;D

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Think it just had a hard time surving in such a small environment with two other very active fish. The clowns would pester it when it came out in open. There for it would only come out and wander during night. Thought is was normal behavior but guess not.

Also might have fallen prey to coral banded shrimp, which is quickly outgrowing the Nano. :-/

1 person likes this.
  11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Caught my "Humbugs" laying some eggs this AM. Cannot seem to make a decent video so will have to post pics.

First time I was sure I had a mated pair...when seen next together, the female is obviously larger then male.

Act very similar to clowns in mating and laying egg behavior. (My Maroon's a bit more discreet in hiding their clutch)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008