Durso standpipe with a side-drilled overflow box?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by thenagler72, Jan 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thenagler72

thenagler72 Astrea Snail

Hey everybody, haven't posted in quite a while. I am currently planning out my next tank which will be a 50 gallon 36x18x18 tank :) My question is whether drilling the hole in the side of the tank for the overflow is usually as loud as a bottom drilled tank and if so do durso standpipes work for this type of set up? Thanks in advance!!

2. Click Here!

3. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

im not sure about the noise differences with side vs bottom, but i can tell you that i have a durso standpipe in my 90 and it whispers :)

4. thenagler72

thenagler72 Astrea Snail

Yea thats all I've heard from the dursos...very quiet. My main concern is whether they will work fine with a hole in the side vs the bottom.

5. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

my current durso setup is quiet. its a bottom drilled overflow chamber in the tank. im moving to a herbie setup though

6. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

7. thenagler72

thenagler72 Astrea Snail

Yea I was actually seriously considering doing that build as well but I decided to just to a corner overflow just to keep things simple for myself. I'm probably going to end up moving this tank a couple of times since I'm graduating next semester so I just want less equipment (plumbing.. lol) It does look like a nice system though

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

All of mine come out the side and so does a close friends (KOgle). You will have no problem with noise.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

My durso comes out of the side on my old tank and it was fine. I would seriously consider that BeanAnimal design, or it's smaller, less complicated parent the Herbie design though. They are far superior IMO. Redundancy is good.

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Redundancy is a great thing.

I have a durso on my 200g, but it is a bit different than most setups here.

It won't be any different for sound if run through the bottom of the side.

12. thenagler72

thenagler72 Astrea Snail

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I do like the bean animal design but I'm going to go with a regular overflow with a durso. I appreciate the info and sketches of your designs.